Swimming and diving teams lose home meets

The GW swimming and diving teams lost a home meet to East Carolina University Saturday after the men’s swimming team lost to Navy at the Smith Center Thursday. The losses overshadowed strong individual performances by the Colonials, who entered these meets after a split with visiting La Salle last Monday.

The women started Saturday’s meet by winning the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 3:55.41 but still lost 140-97, while the men lost 140-81.

Freshman Maggie Moss and junior Ruth Dubyel led the women’s swimmers. Moss won the 200-yard backstroke by nearly five seconds with a time of 2:05.55 after Dubyel won the 200-yard butterfly in 2:09.22.

Freshman Mark Adams led the men, winning the 200-yard breaststroke in 2:10.38. Junior Joshua Roberts and sophomore Bryan Michels finished second and third, respectively, as GW swept the event.

The Colonial men and women also combined to sweep the three-meter diving event, as senior Kelly Danylyshyn-Adams scored a 222.83 and junior Robert Stuart scored a 251.33.

In Thursday’s loss to the Midshipmen, sophomore Bryan Ferretti highlighted the meet for GW with a first-place finish in two events. Ferretti won the 1,000-yard freestyle in 9:48.13 and won the 500-yard freestyle in 4:47.97. The Colonial men recorded five first-place finishes but were undersized and unable to overcome a larger Navy squad.

The men also lost to La Salle 124-116 Monday while the women won all but one event, notching an impressive 139-88 win. Moss led the Colonials again, winning two events and helping GW win the 400-yard medley relay. Dubyel, junior Kristen Fagley and freshman Christina Boland also won swimming events for GW while Danylyshyn-Adams won both diving events.