Around Campus

SJT proposes trimester system

University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg discussed the benefits of a “trimester system” that could improve the financial status and efficiency of the University in an address to a faculty assembly last Monday. Trachtenberg called for a working group of faculty, staff, trustees and students to study the implications of the trimester system.

The new proposal would require students to attend two of three 14-week trimesters. Currently, 18 percent of colleges and universities use the trimester system, according to the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.

However, most of these colleges and universities use the 11-week trimester system, requiring students to attend classes or co-ops during all semesters and allowing for a summer break.

Trachtenberg referred to the system as “radical” but stressed the importance of this proposal in responding to increased enrollment and economic demands on University property.

“The idea is simply to make full use of both the year and our facilities,” Trachtenberg said.

City Hall featured in NY Times

An article published last week in The New York Times, entitled “Four-Star Dorms” featured a description of City Hall. The article listed residence halls at Michigan State University and Boston University as well.

“Students get marble bathrooms and kitchen with a full-size refrigerator, garbage disposal, microwave and dishwasher,” the article reported. “Decor is a notch above Embassy Suites.”

GW signed a 15-year lease for the former St. James Suites hotel and reopened it as City Hall in the fall 2001 semester.

Dance Marathon holds kickoff event

The GW Dance Marathon will hold its third annual kick-off event with popcorn in Kogan Plaza Monday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Students can sign up to dance and raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network.

The Dance Marathon, a national event, will be held at GW in the spring. The 12-hour, all-night “lock-in” in the Hippodrome is open to all students who are able to raise money from sponsors.

For more information about the Dance Marathon, go to www.gwu.edu/~dance.

Project HEALTH celebrates anniversary

Project HEALTH D.C. will celebrate the first anniversary of its GW chapter on Tuesday from 10:30 a.m. to noon at the Children’s National Medical Center.

The anniversary celebration will be held in the west wing on the fifth floor of the Medical Center at 111 Michigan Ave. National health care officials, including the founder of the national organization, Rebecca Onie, will address student volunteers. Project Health brings together volunteer professionals with college students in order to ensure proper health care for many urban children.

For more information on the celebration or Project HEALTH D.C., check out www.dcchildrens.com.

Golden Key inducts members

The Golden Key International Honour Society will induct new members in a ceremony Monday. Inductees include juniors and seniors who are the in the top 15 percent of their classes.

The ceremony will take place in the Marvin Center ballroom at 8 p.m.

Hot chocalate on Kogan

Hot beverages will be served by Junior Class Council Thursday from 12:30 to 2 p.m. in Kogan Plaza.

In addition to free hot chocolate and hot apple cider in spirit of the cold
weather, Class Council representatives will be discussing upcoming events, such as the Second Annual Study Abroad Send-off on Dec. 10 and the Charity Ball on Dec. 6.

-Rachel Gould