Greek Briefs

Alpha Delta Pi raises money for Ronald McDonald House

The Alpha Delta Pi sorority held its annual “Jail ‘n Bail” event last Thursday. During the course of the week, all GW community members had a chance to “jail” their friends.

Alpha Delta Pi member Jenny Mashberg said the event was a huge success, raising $1,300 for the Ronald McDonald House, a temporary home for families of critically ill children.

Delta Sigma Theta sponsors essay competition

The Delta Sigma Theta chapter is sponsoring the first annual Jeanne L. Noble Book Scholarship Essay Competition. Delta Sigma Theta President Chamerro Cox said the competition requires applicants write an essay responding to the question, “As a black woman attending the George Washington University, what is your role in promoting unity within the black community?”

Applicants must be a female GW undergraduate and submit the essay by Dec. 2. Cox said applications will be accepted via e-mail at [email protected] and the subject heading should read Jeanne L. Noble Book Scholarship. The winner will receive a $200 gift certificate for the GW bookstore to aid in the purchase of books and supplies.

Delta Tau Delta coaches local sports

Members of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity recently finished a season coaching and sponsoring the Northwest Little League Red Sox, a local baseball team in the District, as a part of their Community Outreach Program.

The Northwest Little League Red Sox finished this season with a 7-0 record.

Additionally, members of the fraternity created an organization called Delt Basketball Advancement Group to help sponsor and coach a local youth basketball team this winter. Games will be held at the MCI Center Saturday mornings at 9 a.m.
-Jessica Braverman

Lambda Chi Alpha holds food drive

The Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity is hosting a food drive with the Neighbors Project Thursday and Friday. Students can donate canned food, which goes to the Capital Area Food Bank in Northeast, D.C., in a box outside Provisions.

The fraternity hosts a food drive every semester, but this is the first time the two groups are co-sponsoring the event.

Last year Lambda Chi Alpha collected about 7,000 pounds of food, and organizers said they hope to meet and beat the figure this year.
-Julie Gordon