Around Campus

Drunk driver hits car on campus

A fender-bender on 21st and G streets resulted in the arrest of one individual for drunk driving Wednesday night. The incident occurred at 7:15 p.m. outside the Hall of Government building.

A female driver hit another individual’s car and tried to flee the scene, said Officer Richard Carter of the Metropolitan Police Department. The individual whose car was hit proceeded to get out of her car and chase down the woman attempting to leave the scene. The woman was detained and the police were called.

MPD officers arrested the woman for driving while intoxicated and transported her in an ambulance to the emergency room to be evaluated.

” Unfortunately, we see this a lot of this type of behavior,” Carter said.
-Michael Barnett

El Salvadorian ambassador to speak

H.E. Rene Antonio Leon Rodriguez, the United States’ ambassador to El Salvador, will give a lecture Saturday in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom. He is set to speak about Salvadoran culture, the history of the country, Salvadorans living abroad, the aftermath of 1998’s Hurricane Mitch, the devastating earthquakes of early 2001 and the current situation of the country in general.

A traditional Latin dinner and a series of performances highlighting El Salvador will follow the presentation, titled “Journey through El Salvador.”

The International Students Society is sponsoring the event, which will take place from 6 to 9 p.m.

Midshipmen hold toy drive

Uniformed Navy and Marine Corps Midshipmen from the GW NROTC unit are setting out to make the holidays a little brighter for D.C.-area children over the next few weeks with their annual toy drive.

Volunteers will collect items Nov. 11-22 in the Marvin Center and at the Nov. 14 men’s basketball game at the Smith Center. Students are encouraged to give unwrapped toys, cash donations or batteries, which can be purchased at Provisions with meal points.

The drive has been going on for over a decade, and this year promises to be one of the best yet, organizers said.

“We’re hoping to collect a total of $4,000 to $5,000 in toys and cash donations,” said Doug Ferreira, chair of the Toy Drive and Midshipman 3rd Class.

Roughly 130 members from GW, Georgetown and University of Maryland will be logging more than 100 hours over the next two weeks running the drive.

Indians celebrate Festival of Lights

The Indian Students’ Association will hold its annual Diwali cultural show and dinner Friday from 6:30- 11 p.m. in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom. Diwali is the Indian Festival of Lights.

Students are invited to enjoy a traditional Indian dinner and then watch singing and dancing to traditional and modern Indian songs.

Tickets are available at Ticketmaster, and are $8 for members and $6 for non-members.
-Blake A. Ehrlich

Sophomore wins sub eating contest

Sophomore Kyle Nicholson did not throw up last Friday, but he did eat 2.75 turkey sandwiches in five minutes making him Potbelly Sandwich Works’ first place “Belly Buster.”

Nicholson beat out the six other contestants chowing down on turkey and cheese on a sub roll to win $1, 000. Nicholson said he plans to use the prize money for parties, a dinner for friends and donations to charity.

“I eat at Potbelly’s quite a lot and thought, ‘why not,'” Nicholson said about his motivation to join in the eating contest.

Potbelly Sandwich Works, located on 12th Street NW, hosted the event in celebration of National Sandwich Day held on the birthday of the so-called inventor of the sandwich, Earl John Montagu.
-Elizabeth Brown

Groups collect cell phones for violence victims

The GW Neighbors Project and Hillel are collecting cell phones though Nov. 18 to benefit victims of domestic violence. The donated phones are reprogrammed with emergency phone numbers and redistributed free of charge to victims in need.

“It’s a great cause we came across after talking to so many students with old cell phones,” said Hillel Student Life Coordinator Sarah Raful. “Why not donate your wireless phone to help stop domestic violence?”

Drop boxes are located in Thurston Hall, the Hall on Virginia Avenue, the Office of Community Service, Hillel and the Mount Vernon Campus Hall Office.

Students looking for more information can visit www.donateaphone.com.

Students get time management tips

The GW Academic Success Series will present a “Prevent Procrastination” workshop Thursday at the University Counseling Center at 2033 K St., Suite 330.

The program is designed to identify and minimize procrastination in students’ academic and personal lives. Students can drop in with no appointment from 4:10-5:30 p.m.

For those who cannot attend, a videotape of the session can be viewed on an appointment-only basis.

Multicultural office gets new director

University officials named Marisela Martinez director of the Multicultural Student Services Center this week. She served as director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs at Davenport University in Michigan before coming to GW this semester.

Duties as director include overseeing the operation and administration of programs to provide academic and personal support and community building for multicultural students.

The MSSC gives multicultural students academic programming and social and cultural activities to promote cultural heritage, racial understanding, academics and personal development.

Martinez previously worked as a research fellow at the University of Witswaterand, Johannesburg, South Africa.

-Blake A. Ehrlich