Around Campus

Student art on exhibit

Original works of art from current students are on display in the Lisner auditorium’s Dimock Gallery and Mount Vernon’s MoVe Gallery from Oct. 21 to Nov. 27.

The exhibition features ceramics, design, drawing, photography, painting and printmaking. Many works displayed will be available to purchase. The event is free and open to the public.

Dimock Gallery hours are from 11 a.m.- 1 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday and 11 a.m.- 3 p.m. on Fridays. MoVe Gallery hours are 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Environmental specialist discusses global warming

Eileen Claussen, president of the Pew Center on Global Climate Change, will discuss ways in which her organization is tackling global warming on Wednesday, Nov. 6.

The Elliott School of International Affairs is sponsoring the discussion, which will take place in the Marvin Center room 403 from 6- 7:30 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

Claussen founded the Business Environmental Leadership Council, a group of 38 international companies working together to create more environmentally efficient products, practices and technologies. She has served as an assistant to the president of Global Environmental Affairs at the National Security Council, is a member of the board of directors of the Environmental Law Institute and is the former Assistant Secretary of State for Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs.

Department of Music showcases a holiday classic

The Department of Music presents the opera Amahl and the Night Visitors on Nov. 8, 9 and 10 at the Dorothy Betts Theater.

The first opera, written for television in 1951, tells a story of a crippled boy (Amahl) and his mother who are visited by three kings. The opera will feature GW music students directed by faculty.

The performances will take place Nov. 8 at 7:30 p.m., Nov. 9 at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. and Nov. 10 at 3 p.m. in the Dorothy Betts Marvin Theatre. Admission is free, but the suggested donation is $8 for adults and $4 for students and seniors.

-Helen Wei

ISO sponsors trip for ghost tour

Members of the GW International Services Office gathered for a lantern ghost tour of Old Town Alexandria on a rainy night Tuesday, Oct. 29. Seventeen ISO members attended.

“All my stories are true, but add a little of my own flavor to them,” said tour guide Ed Michals said.

While dressed in 18th century attire, he took the group through a walking tour of various historical buildings such as Carlise House, Wises Tavern and City Hall. The tour ended at Christ Church cemetery, the Church of George Washington and Robert E. Lee.

“My favorite part of the tour was when the tour guide showed us how a woman use to use a fan to get a man to kiss her in the 18th century,” said Jackson Tong, a GW alumnus on the tour.

“We try to sponsor events that people can’t go out and do on their own. We want to bring American culture to international students,” said Kara Tsunashima, program coordinator.

-Kristie Schumacher