Two groups perform ‘Rocky’

While most students would think to look outside campus grounds to find women, men and transvestites stripping, the Marvin Center will play host to multiple performances of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” this week, a play that eclectically mixes sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Student theater groups Forbidden Planets Productions and Absolute Pleasures Productions co-sponsored “Rocky” last year, but the two companies are holding separate performances this year.

Organizers said they split this year because both groups interpret the show different ways. While APP actors will only lip-synch along with the film, FPP producers said their show is more “theatrical” with cast members performing the majority of the dialogue and songs on their own. Cast and audience members have also described APP’s production as more “risque.”

More than 200 students attended APP’s production Saturday night. APP will perform again on Halloween and FPP on Nov. 1 and 2. Doors open at 11 p.m. at the Marvin Center for all performances.

On Saturday night, a female member of the APP production unexpectedly took off her bra off during the show, organizers said, and was removed from the show.

“This is an X-rated interpretation,” APP director Allison Curtis said. “We are going as far as the Marvin Center (conduct rules) allow us to.”

While audience participation is encouraged, the University officials have stressed safety, forbidding throwing objects at the stage.

A male student brought a can of beer with him to APP’s Saturday night performance, and was removed from the Marvin Center and dealt with by UPD officer, Curtis said.

The female student who was removed from the show cannot perform in APP’s next show Thursday, Curtis said.

APP’s productions will be presented in “Rocky’s” traditional format, with actors lip-synching dialogue and songs along to the film version.

The show follows Brad Majors and his fiancee Janet Weiss during their adventures at the hands of Dr. Frank N. Furter and his team of transvestites.

Audience members at GW’s shows are encouraged to dress up as the characters, call out “classic” lines during the show and come to the pre-shows, directors said.

“I love the audience participation and I know all the lines,” sophomore Annie Laepple said.

Organizers of both shows said they plan to shock both Rocky “virgins” and seasoned audience members.

“We are stressing the avant-garde,” APP Executive Producer Ellen Malovrh said. “Our pre-show consists of five girls stripping each other – extremely sexy, extremely hot.”

Female lap dancers also offer dances before the show for $2, Malovrh said.

“We have placed emphasis on acting and theater in general,” FPP Executive Producer Jared Eisenman said.

The show’s musical numbers will be sung live by the actors with the movie playing at the same time in the background, FPP director Annie O’Neill said.

“This has been an important experience in terms of my comfort zone,” said Trey Gibson, who plays Eddie and Dr. Scott in the FPP production. “I’m almost naked onstage.”

Neither production is allowed to display nudity, but actors can strip down to underwear.