Three nabbed for indecent exposure

University Police barred three individuals from campus for indecent exposure in GW bathrooms last Thursday. The three men, all unaffiliated with the University, exposed themselves to undercover officers in Corcoran Hall and the Marvin Center.

UPD runs undercover operations in GW bathrooms periodically, and each time several individuals are detained, University Police officials said. Operations may last one day or several days, UPD officials added.

UPD Chief Dolores Stafford said officers routinely detain individuals for committing “lewd acts,” adding that some of those detained in the past have been GW students. The age of those detained ranges from 18 to 50, Stafford said.

The Web site cruisingforsex.com, which began re-listing GW bathrooms in September, has continued to list University facilities as meeting points for public homosexual sexual activity.

The bathrooms in Bell Hall, Corcoran Hall, the Gelman Library and the Marvin Center have been identified as “cruisy” bathrooms by the Web site. Cruisingforsex.com also enables its users to post messages about their experiences.

A message posted October 2002 by one individual indicates he met “several hot college guys” in the lower level Marvin Center bathroom. “If you are (or look like) a student, you won’t have a problem, as long as you don’t run in and out of the bathroom constantly,” wrote the individual.

University Police first uncovered sexual activity in GW bathrooms in November 1999. In some instances, more than 10 people were identified at a time, Stafford said. GW students identified by UPD are reported to Student Judicial Services. Those not affiliated with GW are barred from campus. If a previously barred person returns to campus, they are arrested by Metropolitan Police.

“Our goal is to stop this behavior completely,” added Stafford. ” This behavior has definitely slowed down, but it’s still happening.”