Seniors drink up at Oktoberfest

More than 450 seniors flooded the Marvin Center’s third floor terrace Thursday night for GW’s second annual senior Oktoberfest; renewing old connections over beer, bratwurst and a backdrop of a three-piece band wearing lederhosen.

The event, run by the Senior Class Gift Campaign and funded by the Office of Advancement, was deemed a success by many of the attendants. Chris Darmamin, coordinator of the Senior Class Gift Campaign, called the event “100 percent successful.”

“It’s been perfect every year,” he said. “And that’s a credit to the seniors.”

This year, seniors kept warm by dining on steaming cabbage, sauerkraut and bratwurst. Almost all braved long lines for a glass of Beck’s, Pete’s Wicked Ale or Miller Lite. A few lucky ones even won door prizes,
including gift certificates from local businesses.

Although many seniors said they were thrilled about being served alcohol on GW’s campus, many also grumbled about the two-drink limit.

“I think the two-beer limit is awful,” senior John Dunn said.

Many seniors were attracted by the beer advertisement.

“I wish they’d give us more beer, but at least they gave us two,” added senior Caitlyn Barry.

For the senior class, Oktoberfest was an opportunity to re-connect and reminisce with long-lost friends.

“I’m definitely seeing people I haven’t seen since freshman year,” senior Rojeana Chanoine said.

Senior Steve Precker called the event “a very nice way to unite seniors that don’t know each other.”

The event also exposed many seniors to the class gift campaign, and gave them the chance to voice their ideas for a potential class gift.

Darmamin said members of the campaign will probably choose a gift by the end of the semester. Last year’s gift was a mosaic on the first floor of the Marvin Center.

Darmamin said he’s been planning Oktoberfest for about two months.

Despite somewhat tight security at Oktoberfest, including people checking students’ IDs, a few non-seniors managed to sneak into the event.

“I’m only here to eat,” said a junior who wished to remain anonymous. “But I know a few that will find a way to get a drink.”