Around D.C.

Police arrest three in sniper case
With ten people dead and three wounded, 42-year-old John Muhammad and 17-year-old John Lee Malvo were arrested early Thursday morning in Frederick County, Md. The two were found asleep in a blue 1990 Chevrolet Caprice across from a rest stop.

Authorities found a Bushmaster XM15 .223 caliber rifle in the car, which matched shell casings from the rifle used in the shootings. There was an opening in the trunk, so that shooters could remain hidden while firing the gun, according to a Washington Post article.

Officials have yet to decide whether authorities in Maryland or Virgina will try Muhammed and Malvo.

Maryland authorities filed six counts of murder against the two Friday. The state is seeking the death penalty for Muhammed and trying Malvo as an adult. Though Malvo can be tried as an adult, under Maryland law juveniles are ineligible for the death penalty, according to the Washington Post.

Virginia authorities will file charges against the two Monday and can seek death penalty against Muhammed and Malvo regardless of age, according to the Associated Press. One murder took place in D.C. The District does not have the death penalty.

The suspects have also been linked to the murder of a woman Montgomery, Ala. on Sept. 21. Authorities from the state said they will seek the death penalty if the link is verified, according to Reuters.

Twenty six-year-old Jamaican citizen Nathaniel O. Osbourne was arrested Saturday in Michigan as a material witness to the sniper case.

It is unclear as to how authorities located Osbourne or the exact terms (included in a sealed affidavit) under which authorities are holding him.

Osbourne and Muhammad purchased the blue Caprice from a New Jersey Car Dealer, Sure Shoe Auto Sales Inc., Sept. 10. Osbourne and Muhammed listed the same New Jersey residence when registering the car.

Norton requests $1 million to sustain fake ID search
D.C. Congressional Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) is attempting to increase funding to sustain an investigation to find organizations, particularly in Adams Morgan, that are producing and selling counterfeit identity documents. Norton requested $1 million from the Bush administration Tuesday.

The Immigration and Naturalization Service investigation, called Operation Card Shark, has identified four illegally operating organizations and made 34 arrests.

Because of the lack of nationwide investigation funds, INS officials are declining to continue the endeavor.
-Heather Sala

Environmental MBA students gather in D.C.
More than 900 students gathered in D.C. to hear about 100 speakers and discuss environmental business issues this weekend at the 10th annual Net Impact conference. The conference returned to D.C. since its first ever event, at Georgetown University.

GW, Georgetown, American University and the University of Maryland collaborated to organize the conference, which featured speakers like Ben and Jerry’s founder Ben Cohen and Microsoft Community Affairs Director Bruce Brooks.

The conference, themed “Partnering to Create Social Value,” focused on environmentally responsible business practices and policy initiatives.

Members of GW’s Graduate Environmental and Social Professional Association, a group of business graduate students, attended the event.

“It’s important to see that there are people in business, government and non-profits that are able to advance their environmental and social goals responsibly,” said business and public management professor Mark Starik, who spoke at the conference.
-Kate Stepan