Around Campus

Experts discuss new world of terror
Political science and international affairs professor Henry Nau and University of Chicago professor John Mearsheimer will discuss American foreign policy questions Wednesday from 6-7:30 p.m.

The two professors will speak in the Marvin Center ballroom about issues concerning the war against global terrorism and potentially Iraq.

The event is free and open to the public.
.
Engineer discusses skyscrapers and WTC
The School of Engineering and Applied Science will host an open forum for students with Leslie E. Robertson, internationally known structural engineer, who will be lecturing on the structural design of the World Trade Center and other tall buildings on Wednesday from 7-8:15 p.m. in the Marvin Center ballroom.

Robertson was named Engineering News Record’s “Construction Man of the Year” and won the Henry C. Turner Prize for Innovation in Construction Technology in 2002. His works have included buildings such as the World Trade Center (New York), the United States Steel Headquarters (Pittsburgh) and the Bank of China Tower (Hong Kong).

Refreshments will be served at 6:30 p.m. A reception will follow at 8:15 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

Professor lectures about music
The music department is hosting a lecture Monday at 12:30 p.m. in Phillips Hall, B120. Marta Robertson, associate professor of music at Gettysburg College, will speak about her own personal experiences and address questions dealing with the music in academics.

Robertson studies 20th century North American and Latin American music with dance.

Entertainment TV executive to lead discussion about media
The School of Media and Public Affairs is hosting a discussion with Jon Helmrich, founder and president of International Broadcast communications (IBC) and senior executive for E! entertainment network. He will speak about changes in television landscape and the challenges of entering the workforce Thursday from 2-3 p.m. in MPA room 307.

Helmrich received an master’s degree in social and behavioral sciences from New York University and an undergraduate degree in communications from GW.

He is also a consult to Chum Television, one of Canada’s leading media companies and assistant director of research at the National Cable Television Association in Washington, D.C. Before E!, Helmrich worked as a production manager for HBO talent and entertainment in New York.

Volunteer opportunity for senior citizens
Students can spend some time with a senior citizen Saturday from 9:15 a.m.- 1:30 p.m. at Emmaus Services for the Aging. The outreach and advocacy organization assists seniors in maintaining their independence for as long as possible by connecting them with necessary services. Volunteers should meet in front of Marvin Center at the H Street entrance. E-mail [email protected] for details.

-Helen Wei

Cafe Gelman
Cafe Gelman will be held in the Gelman Library 24-hour reading room Wednesday from 8-10 p.m. There will be performances and refreshments, including espresso and cookies, during the event.

About 300 people are expected to attend.

“The library is not usually used for events and this is a nice way to transform the space for a night so that people can hang out instead of study.” said Kate Currier, Program Board Co-Arts Chair.

-Heather Sala