Around campus

Students give back to community

Students will have the chance to get involved in community service this weekend with “A Night to Give Back” Friday and “Make A Difference Day” Saturday.

“A Night to Give Back” is set for 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the Marvin Center. Activities include making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the homeless, a community campfire with s’mores and an open microphone and coffeehouse.

Saturday’s event, sponsored by the Office of Community Service and the Neighbors Project, will offer students volunteer opportunities at 10 organizations throughout the District. Participating locations include The D.C. Central Kitchen, For Love of Children’s special Olympics, D.C. Parks and Recreation, Community Harvest, Christian Community Group Homes and the Northwest Settlement House.

Individuals and groups looking to get involved can e-mail [email protected] or call 994-5493 to sign up.

MVC Pub serves Starbucks-style refreshments

The Mount Vernon Campus Programming Council will host its monthly coffeehouse featuring karaoke Saturday at 8 p.m. in the Mount Vernon Pub and Grill.

The second to last of the Fall Coffeehouse series, the event will feature a free “espresso bar,” with cappuccinos, lattes, steamers and hot chocolate, along with free mugs.

“Last year was the largest coffeehouse yet, with about 300 cups of coffee served,” said coffeehouse co-chair Brooke Buerkle.

Next month’s coffeehouse is slated for Nov. 15, with the espresso bar opening at 8 p.m. and musical guest Chinua Hawk performing at 8:30 p.m. The Council’s spring coffeehouse series will feature an “open mic night and talent jam.”

-Blake A. Ehrlich

West End receives television upgrade

Residents of the West End, who have been without cable television since the beginning of the year, can expect their cable to be turned on Nov. 1, said Alexa Kim, director of Student and Academic Support Services Technology Communications.

Kim said the cable provider for the residence hall went out of business with little notice this year, forcing officials to switch providers. Students will now have more than 20 channels, while they had seven to 10 before the cable provider left.

-Andrew Kohan

Divas shake up the Marvin Center

The Out Crowd will hold its first annual Diva Ball Friday to celebrate Halloween. Students are encouraged to wear costumes, but dressing up is not required for admittance.

All students are welcome, whether “gay, bi, straight, green or blue,” according to the Out Crowd’s Web site. Dancing begins at 8 p.m. and will last until 11 p.m. The event is scheduled in the Marvin Center Grand Ballroom, and costs $5 for students.

E-mail [email protected] for more information.

Literary magazine hosts first reading

Le Culte du Moi, GW’s newest literary magazine, will hold its first fiction and poetry reading to help student writers gain confidence in presenting their work, hear what their peers are writing and exchange feedback. The student organization started last year.

The event will be held in Marvin Center room 405 at 8 p.m., and students wishing to read should arrive at 7:30 p.m.

All professors and students are invited to read and attend the reading.
The magazines will also be accepting submissions for publication, which can be sent to [email protected], until Friday.
–Julie Gordon

New theater group holds auditions

The Exonerated Players, a new campus theater group, is holding auditions for a winter performance Thursday beginning at 8 p.m. in Marvin Center 101. The group will focus on social activist plays.

It is scheduled to perform “Bang Bang, You’re Dead,” a play about violence in schools, Jan. 25- 26. For more information, e-mail [email protected].