Around the Nation

More students petition Boston U. chancellor

(U-WIRE) BOSTON- Nearly two weeks after five Boston law students sent a petition protesting Chancellor John Silber’s order to disband the Boston University Academy Gay-Straight Alliance, a group of 368 students from the College of Fine Arts also petitioned.

Three CFA freshmen, Lee Evans, Ava Eisenson and Therese Barbato, drafted a document without the intention “to condemn, attack or accuse, but rather to encourage the opportunity for communication,” according to the petition.

The students sent the petition to Board of Trustees Chairman Richard DeWolfe on Oct. 11. The students criticized the actions of Silber and explained the reasons they wrote the petition.

“We hope to promote awareness of the issue and gain acknowledgment from the administration,” the petition reported.

Two killed in murder-suicide at N.C. State

(U-WIRE) RALEIGH, N.C.- The news of a murder-suicide last Saturday shook the campus of North Carolina State University and left many wondering why and how such a tragedy occurred.

At 5:19 p.m. a Campus Police officer responded to the sound of gunshots coming from the tennis courts behind the Carmichael Gymnasium.

When the officer arrived at the tennis court, he found the bodies of Lili Wang, a 31 year-old master’s degree candidate in her second year in NCSU’s College of Engineering, and Richard Borrelli Anderson, a 49 year-old computer science graduate student.

NCSU police officials said Wang was reportedly practicing tennis on the tennis court when she was approached and shot in the head and knee by Anderson. After killing Wang, police said Anderson then turned the gun on himself and shot himself in the head. Anderson’s body fell approximately five feet from Wang’s.

College Board removes flags from SATs taken with extra time

(U-WIRE) LOS ANGELES- The College Board will no longer notify schools of applicants with disabilities. While most students were ambivalent about the change, administrators said they thought it was a great step for disability rights.

As of Oct. 1, 2003, the College Board, the company responsible for the SATs, will no longer flag tests taken by people with disabilities who need extra time. The College Board and the Disability Rights Advocates announced the decision after a 1999 lawsuit brought against the Educational Testing Service.

ETS is responsible for developing the test items and scores the SAT and other College Board tests. After ETS agreed to take the flags off of non-College Board tests, the College Board soon agreed to de-flag its tests as well.