Around Campus

Afghan Foreign Minister to speak on campus

Afghanistan’s foreign minister Abdullah Abdullah, graduate of the Medical College at Kabul University, will be speaking about the current situation in Afghanistan from 1-2 p.m. in the Media and Public Affairs building Monday. The event, sponsored by the Law School and the Elliott School of International Affairs, will take place in the Jack Morton auditorium, and is free and open to the public.

Abdullah’s goal is to promote national reconciliation and encourage international support for Afghanistan’s reconstruction efforts.

He has played key roles in the UN-sponsored Afghan Peace Conference in Bonn in December, 2001, and contributed to the success of the recent national Loya Jirga (Grand Council).

In addition to their collaborative effort to rebuild Afghanistan’s infrastructure, Law School and Elliott School faculty members donated a collection of law books to the Kabul University Law School, which will be shipped to Afghanistan with the assistance of the U.S. Department of State.

New Zealand dignitary to discuss trade

The Elliott School is helping to sponsor a roundtable, led by former director-general of the World Trade Organization and Prime Minister of New Zealand Michael Moore. Moore will discuss trade and investment policy and the WTO Thursday in Funger Hall room 108 from 6-7:30 p.m.

Moore will share his experiences during his three years of service, and discuss the current outlook for the WTO.

Prior to his work for the WTO, Moore had a distinguished political career in New Zealand. He has also received many awards in recognition of his political achievements and contributions.

Law School students win mulit-million dollar suit

Students from the GW Law School Vaccine Injury Clinic won a multi-million dollar settlement in the case of Dela Rosa vs. Secretary of Health and Human Services on Sept. 24.

Second and third year students petitioned the court for compensation after a client’s 10-year-old daughter suffered serious injuries. The United States Court of Federal Claims ruled that the client was entitled to a multi-million dollar compensation settlement.

The clinic was founded in 1994 to represent parents seeking vaccine-injury compensation under the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986.

The clinic has obtained compensation for its clients in a variety of cases and has attained life-long care for children with severe disabilities.

Senior class event to offer free beer

The Senior Class Gift Campaign will sponsor Oktoberfest from 5-7 p.m. Thursday, a chance to learn more about the senior class gift and celebrate a German tradition. Free beer, non-alcoholic beverages, traditional Oktoberfest food, door prizes and live music will be included.

The event will take place on Marvin Center 3rd floor terrace. The cost is free but the event is for seniors only. RSVP via [email protected].

Student Health offers flu and meningitis vaccines

GW Student Health Services will offer flu and meningitis vaccines on Tuesday from 12-2 p.m. in Ames Dining Hall on at the Mount Vernon Campus and on Wednesday from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the Marvin Center third floor ballroom.

Flu vaccines cost $15, meningitis vaccines cost $75. Payment can be made by cash or check (Debit Dollars accepted in Marvin Center). GW students, faculty and staff are welcome. For more information, call Student Health at 741-2650 or e-mail [email protected].
-Helen Wei