Greek groups line up for village housing

University officials said they are pleased that 16 Greek-letter organizations submitted applications to live in eight available Townhouse Row housing spots next fall. While Student Activities Center officials said last week that they expected about 12 groups to apply, they said they are “happy” with the applications.

All eight Panhellenic Association member sororities and eight of 11 Interfraternity Council member fraternities applied to live in the 24- to 30-bed townhouses currently under construction behind the Smith Center. Delta Tau Delta and Phi Sigma Kappa, which both have fraternity houses, and Theta Delta Chi were the only fraternities that did not apply for housing.

A selection committee, including administrators and student delegates from the Student Activities Center, the Community Living and Learning Center and Greek-letter campus leaders, have been assembled to review applications and choose which chapters will attain houses.

“The two most heavily weighted criteria will be judicial records and membership totals over the past several years,” SAC Director Laura Taddeucci said. She said chapter GPA, contribution to campus and outside leadership positions will also be considered.

After applications are reviewed, informal interviews will be held with the members of the chapter who intend to live in the house next fall.

“The interview will be an informal conversation between the administrators and students to make sure expectations on both sides are understood and questions are answered,” Taddeucci said.

“Our chapter thinks the group interviews will be an important determinant,” Delta Gamma President Carla Graves said.
The selection committee has no quotas on the number of sororities (rather than fraternities) they will choose.

“We want the most quality chapters in the houses, regardless of whether they are fraternities or sororities,” Taddeucci said.

The chosen chapters will be notified by Dec. 1, and Greek-letter organizations will then have until Dec. 15 to accept the offer.

“This is an opportunity that most of us in the Greek community have really only dreamed of,” Beta Theta Pi President Zak Babcock said.

Members of the selection committee said the townhouses at GW will be unlike those of other Greek-letter housing units at other colleges.

SAC Greek Adviser Brad Bishop called the Greek Village “unique” compared to most universities’ policies regarding Greek-letter organizations.

GW owns the eight townhouses and residents are expected to abide by all University policies.

Phi Sigma Kappa members said they are happy with their current fraternity house and opted to not apply to the village.

“Basically, with all of the University’s rules and regulations imposed on Greeks, it is clear that the living conditions would not be very agreeable or conducive for a fraternal organization,” said Phi Sigma Kappa President Kris Hart. “Most importantly, Phi Sigma Kappa calls 601 21st Street home. Beautiful or not, we love that house and are damn proud of it.”

Kappa Sigma, Lambda Chi Alpha, Phi Kappa Psi and Tau Kappa Epsilon are the four applicants who presently own houses around campus.

“Any and all organizations who apply for a townhouse will be considered,” Bishop said, adding that “it is unlikely that a fraternity would choose to keep two houses.”

Six of the townhouses will have 24 beds while the other two will hold 30. It is the chapters’ responsibility to choose which members will live in the house.

The Greek-letter chapters chosen must be able to fill the houses, Bishop said.

Combining two smaller fraternities in one townhouse was discussed at one point but was decided against by the selection committee and the chapters, Bishop said.

Sigma Nu President Adam Banner said the fraternity will allocate beds in the house based on seniority.

However, other fraternities said they look at the village as an opportunity for all members.

“We would like to see every brother live in the house at least once in their stay at GW, if we do move here,” Tau Kappa Epsilon President Jeff Consoletti said.

Those involved in the Greek Village said they hope the townhouses will increase awareness of Greek-letter life on campus.

“We hope that the Village will give Greek life at GW a geographic focus and raise the profile of our organizations,” Bishop said. “We believe that this focus will bring about a stronger