Food for thought

Have left over veggies from making a salad, fajitas, or another dish? A stir-fry is a great idea. This quick and easy recipe is perfect for after class or right before going out. Another plus of this recipe is that it takes advantage of vegetables that may be going bad. If a large assortment of vegetables is not available (or breaks the budget), then buy a bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables. They don’t need to defrost, just add them frozen into the pan. Measurements for this recipe are flexible too. Either the meat or the vegetables can be the dominant ingredient, depending on individual tastes. It is a great recipe to improvise or change as desired.

1-2 breasts of defrosted chicken cut up into strips or pieces
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 tablespoons of ginger, minced
1 T sesame seeds
2 C mixed vegetables (can be anything, frozen stir fry veggies, broccoli, peppers, celery, carrots, mushrooms, onions, water chestnuts, sprouts, pea pods, bamboo shoots, baby corn, etc.)
1 T almonds (optional)
1 C stir-fry or teriyaki sauce
1 serving of rice (Jasmine, wheat or sushi rice works best but you can use your favorite type or brand) or Asian noodles

Lightly coat the bottom of a wok or a fry pan with oil or cooking spray (such as Pam). Add garlic and ginger to the pan to give the oil some flavor. Wait while until the oil heats up, then add chicken (can be substituted it with beef, fish, tofu, etc.). As meat begins to brown, add the vegetables. Make sure to start with “hard” vegetables (carrots, broccoli, celery, etc.) because they will take longer to cook. Gradually add the rest of the vegetables, saving the softest ones (like mushrooms or sprouts) for last. After a few minutes, add sauce to the pan and stir. Cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sesame seeds and let sit for an additional one to two minutes. Cook the rice according to instructions on package. Add almonds right before serving the stir-fry. Can be served with the rice mixed in or with the stir-fry on top of the rice.