Greek Briefs

Delta Gamma wins sorority soccer title

Seven sororities competed in a soccer tournament hosted by the Beta Theta Pi fraternity Sunday afternoon near the Washington Monument. Delta Gamma defeated Kappa Kappa Gamma in the final game to win the Beta Cup.

Beta Theta Pi members acted as coaches, referees, linesmen and cheerleaders in support of the friendly competition.

Fraternity founder and events director Ed Downing said he was pleased with the success of the tournament turnout with all but one sorority participating.

“The Beta Cup was not only about making new friends, athletics and fun,” Downing said. “It was about coming together to give back.”

Delta Gamma will receive the Beta Cup and the care and attention of the “Beta Butlers” for one week.

The $750 proceeds, which were collected through the sale of T-shirts and funds raised by the sororities, will be donated to the United Nations Children Fund. Beta Theta Pi plans to host more soccer tournaments in upcoming years.

Members said Beta Theta Pi was the only GW-recognized fraternity to participate in AIDS Walk Washington last Saturday. Thirty members and pledges participated in the walk. Despite the heat, walkers said they enjoyed the event.

“Beta is looking to make a new name for itself on the GW campus with many new and exciting philanthropy events that give back to the community,” Beta Theta Pi President Zak Babcock said.

These events include fundraisers for foreign and domestic charities and promoting Greek-letter life in Foggy Bottom.

-Beth Brenner