BAR BELLE: Drunk or not, Platinum sucks

Platinum’s College Night
Where: 915 F St.
Cover: Free before midnight, expensive after
Carded: In line
Dress: Sweet or slutty

There are two cool things to do at Platinum if you’re a girl. One is to get hammered, the other is to dance on the big stage. Because you cannot drink and dance on the stage at the same time, my usual stage dilemma at Platinum is ‘drink or dance?’

But last Thursday my stage dilemma took new form. Thursday nights at Platinum are always crowed with coeds because Hot 99.5 FM sponsors “College Night” and the usual $15 cover is reduced to nothing if you arrive before midnight. But this Thursday was even crazier as the downtown hot spot was the chosen venue for a few sororities to celebrate “Bid Night”

So the line was even longer, the bouncers even crankier and the crowd even drunker. Drunk pledges, sisters and frat guys crowded the dance floors that had once been considered posh, before Dream, VIP and 2K9 hit the club scene.

So my stage turned into a battle royal among sorority chicks fighting it out to be the sluttiest girls above the dance floor. The verbal assaults were flying. Sample snide remarks were as follows – “Who does that (Greek-letters-omitted) think she is wearing that pink halter, that was sooo last month.” “Whatever,” the (Greek-letters-omitted) girl responded to the dis. “Your sorority sucks.”

Shoves disguised as sexy dance moves ensued. I grabbed my Bud Light and ascended the marble staircase, reminiscent of the building’s early days as a bank, to the VIP room before punches were thrown. Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are usually more upscale at 915 F St., and have the same international flare that you would expect from a place with a chandelier above the dance floor, smoke machines and $7 drinks. But on college night, “nice jeans” are the dress code, light beer replaces Grey Goose and DJ Quicksilver spins Ashanti and Nelly.

On Platinum’s “Paradise Fridays” and “Beautiful Saturdays,” the club advertises the most beautiful women in the city shaking their barley-clad booties to house and trance on the main floor, and hip-hop, Latin and Top 40 in the basement (While the basement has cooler music in my opinion, it is so dark, crowded and sweaty that its hardly worth it). Sunday is “Urban Night,” when hip hop and reggae replace house and trance.

Back on Thursday, you feel less important, especially if you decided to make it a really low cost night and take the Metro there (MCI Center stop is one block away and $10 cheaper than a cab ride). But my tab was getting high, my beer was getting warm and I was getting frustrated. No matter how hard you pregame, Platinum usually loses its charm pretty quickly in a sea of tube tops and Gucci Envy.