Volleyball splits weekend at home

Despite a fourth-game rally, the GW volleyball team lost to Temple for the seventh-straight time in three seasons Saturday at the Smith Center. Prior to Saturday’s loss, the Colonials swept La Salle 3-0 Friday in their home conference opener.

“We’ll be in good shape this year if we could only beat Temple,” sophomore Britta Stroman, just back from a shoulder injury, said.

Temple junior Xu Yun’s match-high 26 kills equaled the total of GW’s top two kill leaders, juniors Sarah Hokom and Ruth Lazarri, who had 13 kills each. Hokom also added a team-high 17 digs for her seventh straight double-double.

The Owls compiled 68 kills compared to GW’s 43, as junior Liu Shu had 12 and junior Yamit Haba had 16. The Owls out-hit the Colonials .249 to .045.

The Colonials and Owls split the first two games, with GW coming out on top 30-28 in game one and the Owls winning game two 30-24.

In the Colonials’ first match Friday night at the Smith Center, GW beat the LaSalle Explorers 3-0 (30-19, 30-22, 30-27).

“We smoked them,” said freshman outside hitter Lindsay Vernand, who slammed a team-high 13 kills in the game.

Hokom, an outside hitter, posted her sixth straight double-double Friday night against LaSalle with 10 kills and a match-high 12 digs.

“Every day and every year we are growing as a team,” Hokom said.

Despite the team’s seeming inability to beat Temple, the Colonials still expressed high hopes for the rest of the season.

“We’re pretty good and pretty confident this year,” freshman Abigail Hatter said.

“We are definitely contenders for the (A-10) championship,” added Hokom. The championship game is the weekend before Thanksgiving.

GW’s next match is Tuesday at 7 p.m. at home against non-conference foe Georgetown. The Colonials will look to welcome former GW volleyball star and current Georgetown coach Liu Li back to the Smith Center with a victory over their cross-town rivals.