Students chat news with seniors

Despite its original intention as a one-time community service requirement for a living and learning community, the NewsWatch Program, which brings students and senior citizens together to discuss current events, began its second year of programming Friday.

Last year, members of the Press Club living and learning community in the Hall on Virginia Avenue started the program, which meets weekly at St. Mary’s Court retirement home. NewsWatch organizers said they study the media and its relationship to D.C. in the Press Club community and started NewsWatch to provide a forum for current event discussion among District residents of all ages.

The Community Living and Learning Center, which runs all living and learning communities, requires all communities to participate in three service activities, according to the CLLC Web site, but CLLC does not require extended programming.

Press Club members said they continued with NewsWatch this year because of student interest and community benefits.

“We did not plan for (NewsWatch) to be a long-term thing, but everyone really seemed to enjoy it so we kept it going,” said sophomore Anny Laepple, who coordinated NewsWatch last year and won the Student Life Award for Community Service in April for her contributions.

“The program was a great success,” said sophomore David Grossman, a former Press Club resident. “This year we hope to really increase attendance and get students from all different backgrounds to participate.”

The College Democrats Community Service Committee and the College Republicans sponsor the program. Grossman, a Community Service Director, said he brought the program to the CDs this year.

Grossman said he is glad NewsWatch is offered for the second year in a row.

“The open forum provides flexibility and opens up for a wide range of
discussions of issues,” he said.

St. Mary’s resident Robert Sargent, 76, said he has not missed a single meeting.

“It really makes my mind work for a change,” he said.

Sargent said he worked as a bartender at the University Club for 17 years before retiring. He said he enjoys sharing his views on politics and learning from students.

“It’s so nice to hear young people’s opinions,” Sargent said. “I am amazed by how up in politics they are – at my age we didn’t know who the vice president was.”

Participants debated about the potential war in Iraq, the recent Maryland shooting spree, upcoming elections and the question of D.C. statehood at Friday’s meeting.

Personal stories about politics, life abroad and World War II enhanced discussion.

After living through the war in Vietnam and WWII, most seniors said they were concerned about the potential war in Iraq.

“I’m not prepared to send our boys to Iraq,” Sargent said. “Those politicians don’t understand . they’ve never experienced war themselves.”

Attendees said they benefited from the thought-provoking discussion and relaxed atmosphere.

“The program is revolutionary in forming a partnership with the seniors,” Grossman said. “I hope it will continue for years to come.”

NewsWatch meetings are held every Friday at St. Mary’s Court, 725 24th St., at 3 p.m. Contact [email protected] for more information.