Students campaign for GW alumnus

Sixteen GW students will have breakfast and photos taken with U.S. Representative Eric Cantor (R-Va.) Thursday morning on Capitol Hill after spending their Saturday campaigning for the freshman Congressman.

Ten College Republicans, four Phi Sigma Kappa members and two pro-Israel students traveled to Richmond, Va. early Saturday morning to campaign for Cantor.

Students showed support for Cantor by distributing literature about his views throughout Richmond neighborhoods and delivering yard signs door-to-door.

Only one Virginia resident refused to take information from the College Republicans.

After campaigning for almost five hours, supporters returned to Cantor’s campaign headquarters for lunch.

Cantor, a GW alumnus and Phi Sigma Kappa member, has strong support from members of the GW community, students said

“I met one of his staffers in a restaurant and found out that Congressman Cantor was a GW graduate and a Phi Sigma Kappa brother,” said sophomore Kris Hart, director of CR public relations. “He showed interest in getting to know us and we’re excited about helping out with his campaign.”

As a supporter of pro–Israel legislation and one of only two Jewish Republicans in the House of Representatives, Cantor has gained a group of supporters in the Jewish and pro-Israel communities.

“He’s been a friend of Israel and an advocate for peace in the Middle East,” sophomore Alex Berger said. “Solidarity with Israel is an issue that unites both Democrats and Republicans.”

Only two pro-Israel students campaigned at the Saturday event. College Republicans said they hope to have a stronger turnout from Jewish students at the next campaign event for Cantor.

“It’s our goal to support Cantor again on a Sunday when it won’t conflict with the Sabbath,” said CR President Dan Moss, a junior

Besides supporting Israeli-U.S. relations, during his term Cantor introduced the Education Empowerment Tax Credit Act, which supports lowering taxes for small businesses and protecting the Social Security trust fund. He is also the chairman of the Congressional Taskforce on Terrorism and Unconventional Warfare.

“It’s good to have such strong support for the President, especially while the nation is at war,” senior Christian Berle said.

The College Republicans plan to support several other D.C. area politicians before the end of campaign season. The club will campaign for Rep. Connie Morella (R-Md.), D.C. Councilmen David Catania and Eric Rojo and Maryland Gubernatorial candidate Bob Ehrlich.

“These campaigns are close enough where every bit of help matters,” Moss said.

He said the club plans to travel to North Carolina and New Jersey before the November election to campaign for senatorial candidates Elizabeth Dole and Doug Forrester.

While the College Republicans are not permitted to use any funds to donate money to politicians, they will donate their time to the candidates they support.

Phi Sigma Kappa will hold a campaign event on Nov. 2 for Cantor.