Staff editorial: Poor graduation rate reflects on Athletic Dept.

New statistics from the NCAA regarding a low graduation rate of 59 percent for GW athletes reflect poorly on the University’s Athletic Department.

The low percentage of athletes graduating at GW is an issue of inadequate retention, not education or academics. Of those athletes that stay and compete for their entire four years, 96 percent of them graduate – well above the national average. The meaning behind the numbers is that the GW Athletic Department is not doing its best to keep athletes from transferring or quitting teams.

GW officials cannot point to excuses like players leaving for the pros or family reasons for the low percentage of athletes finishing their degrees here because all schools face the same problems. There is no reason GW should have the fourth lowest retention rate in the Atlantic 10 conference, when it is academically one of the strongest schools in the conference.

Administrators should investigate why so many athletes do not finish their studies here. An urban campus with relatively low school spirit poses a unique challenge to keeping athletes happy and enrolled, but there is definitely room for improvement.

The addition of the Mount Vernon fields and tennis courts, the Health and Wellness Center (leaving the Smith Center solely for athletes) and the addition of five varsity sports are good moves that will most likely be reflected in higher graduation (read: retention) percentages in future reports. Administrative actions like revitalizing an embarrassed men’s basketball program with a new coaching staff led by Karl Hobbs go a long way in attracting better athletes and keeping them content.

The University needs to continue to improve its athletics. A strong athletic program is a sign of a strong university. Students and administrators should give more attention to athletics at GW.

GW is good at graduating, but not at retaining athletes that start here as freshmen. The Athletic Department should be held accountable for keeping strong relations with athletes. Academics are not the problem, it is the overall athletic atmosphere that needs improvement. Athletes should have reason to stay and compete and complete their education here.