Letter: Use faculty on “Crossfire”

As the Hatchet pointed out (“‘Crossfire’ hits half-year mark,” Sept. 30, p. 1), “Crossfire’s” move to campus six months ago has yielded the University an incalculable amount of favorable publicity and name recognition. For example, many people – including reporters who you would think should know better – are finally realizing that there are two universities in Washington, D.C. with “George” in their names.

It’s also great for students who can see many of the nation’s movers and shakers live on stage, not only during broadcast, but also in unguarded moments during commercial breaks. By the way, they can also wave to mom and dad when the camera pans over the audience.

But GW faculty members seem to be underutilized. When I recently finished my fourth appearance since “Crossfire’s” move to campus, one of the staff members remarked that, since their coming to GW, I was the only faculty member to have appeared on the show.

With so many of my colleagues so knowledgeable about foreign affairs, politics, the economy, legal and medical issues, etc., and with so many “Crossfire” interns from our campus, this seems a shame and an oversight, and a lost opportunity to achieve even more favorable publicity and name recognition. Let’s try harder; we can and should do better and take advantage of our geographical location and our connections with this program.

-John F. Banzhaf III
law professor