Club G-Dub: Monthly Club Sports Round-up

Rugby
The Women’s Rugby team is 2-0 after beating Mary Washington College last weekend 10-5. Mary Washington struck first in the A-side game, but junior flanker Mimi Bienia scored a try to tie it at five apiece. Senior second row Rachel Friede scored the game-winning try making it 10-5.

Freshman rookies Ellain Gelman, Sarah Henderson and senior Gerty Heath all scored in the B-side team’s 20-0 win in an excellent showing by many of the younger and newer players.

The previous weekend, the women tied long-time rival American University 3-3 Saturday. All points were scored on kicks, as no tries were scored. Senior Megan Billingsley scored first for GW, but American scored as time ran down. For more information, contact Emily Knupp at [email protected].

Men’s Soccer
The recently formed GW men’s soccer club is 2-0 this season after their recent 5-1 win over the University of Maryland-Baltimore County. Mike Murillo, Ethan Hughes, Kareem Hodieb, Rodolfo Zubiate and Felipe Oliveira scored for GW in front of about 25 fans from both schools. At the game, the club debuted their new uniforms, which are sponsored by Kappa. Previously, the team beat American 7-0.

Baseball
The GW club baseball team will co-host the Capital Classic, the biggest club baseball fall tournament in the region, this Saturday and Sunday with the University of Maryland. The 12-team tournament is the first ever club baseball tournament in the Washington area. Teams from as far away as the Univeristy of Georgia, SUNY Buffalo, North Carolina State, Syracuse University and Duke University are scheduled to attend.

The president of the National Club Baseball Association will throw out a ceremonial first pitch of the tournament, which is sponsored by companies such as Cluck-U, Comfort Inn, DCBaseball.org and Sante Fe Bar in College Park.

Saturday’s games will be held on Georgia Avenue near Howard University, while Sunday’s games will be held at College Park. For more details on the tournament, check out www.gwu.edu/~baseball/capclassic.html.

Kendo
The GW Kendo club will host a kendo-judging seminar this Saturday at GW’s Building K from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The club will also do a kendo demonstration for Anime USA Convention 2002 at the Sheraton Premiere in Tysons Corner Oct. 12. The following week the club will attend the Shidogakuin 10th Anniversary tournament at Thoreau Middle School in Virginia. That tournament is scheduled for Oct. 19. For more information, contact [email protected].

Women’s Ice Hockey
The GW women’s ice hockey team is not yet in season, but is currently seeking graduate and undergraduate women as the team enters its second season. Most current players are at an intermediate skill level and have played through high school, but newcomers and less experienced players are welcome.

The team, which practices once a week at the Fort Dupont in Southeast, is looking to carry 15-20 skaters and 2 goalies. Weekend games are played against local women’s colleges and senior travel teams. For more information, please contact Tanya Milelli at [email protected].

Men’s Ice Hockey
The GW men’s ice hockey team will take on cross-town rival Georgetown at the MCI center after the Washington Capitals home-opener Friday, Oct. 11. Students that buy a Capitals ticket through GW hockey receive admission to both the sold-out Caps game and the club game afterwards. For more information, contact Eun Hee Han at [email protected].
–Compiled by Lauren Silva