Sports Brief: Women’s basketball releases 2002-03 Schedule

The GW women’s basketball team will have an opportunity this winter for revenge on the Lady Vols of Tennessee, one of the five 2002 NCAA tournament teams the Colonials will face during the upcoming season.

The then-second-ranked Tennessee routed the Colonials at the Smith Center last November. This year the Colonials will travel to Knoxville Nov. 26 to face the Vols, who made it to the Final Four last year, in a 7 p.m. show down before facing Syracuse University, Sweet 16 member Brigham Young University and Rutgers University in December.

The Colonial women will also take on cross-town rival Georgetown, which beat GW last season, at Georgetown in January before facing University of Florida at the end of the month.

GW begins its conference schedule at Richmond Jan. 7 before traveling to defending Atlantic 10 champion Temple for a nationally televised battle on ESPN 2. The Colonials will also face Xavier, the team that knocked them out of last year’s A-10 tournament in the second round, at home in mid-January and on the road in early February.

Last season the Colonials posted their 11th 20-win season with 14-year head coach Joe McKeown at the helm and made it to the second round of the WNIT tournament. They return all five starters, Erica Lawrence and all-conference players Lindsey Davidson, Cathy Joens, Ugo Oha and Anna Montanana.