Around the Nation

THIS ARTICLE HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THE WEB SITE AS OF 18 SEPT 2007, DUE TO SERIOUS FACTUAL INACCURACIES IN THE EASTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY STORY.

DO NOT REPOST.

ANDREW NACIN, WEB EDITOR.
18 SEPT 2007

California sorority members’ parents file suit against organization after deaths

The parents of two women who died during an alleged hazing incident involving their sorority at California State University-Los Angeles earlier this month filed a $100 million lawsuit.

The girls, Kristin High, 22, and Kenitha Saafir, 24, were allegedly blindfolded, tied up and forced into the ocean at night fully clothed Sept. 9. They were then left in the surf and eventually drowned in six to eight foot swells and a strong undercut that pulled them out to sea.

An initial police investigation found no evidence of wrongdoing on the part of Alpha Kappa Alpha, the sorority named in the lawsuit, but family members of the girls will continue with their lawsuit.

The lawsuit names the university, the national organization of the sorority, the individual chapter and the sorority members involved.

Fraternity member found dead at Eastern Michigan University

Perrin Disner, a 25-year-old member of the Sigma Phi fraternity at Eastern Michigan University, died of a cocaine overdose Sept. 5, according to a recently released toxicology report.

Disner was found in the furnace room of his fraternity house after his family expressed concern about his disappearance. The fraternity members, who had partied with Disner the night before, searched the house and eventually found his body.

Friends and family said they were shocked because they said Disner was not known to use drugs.

Playboy doles out top party school rankings

Playboy magazine will release a list of America’s top party schools in their November 2002 issue, which hits newsstands next week. The list is making a come back after a 15-year hiatus.

The top 25 party schools listed in the magazine include Arizona State University, California State-Chico University, Louisiana State University, West Virginia University, Colorado State University, Wisconsin State University, University of Connecticut, Kansas State University and San Diego State University.

Despite recent criticism from the American Medical Association on the danger of party school rankings, Playboy representatives said the article was written in the spirit of fun and “shouldn’t be taken seriously.”

Homosexual students fight for rights at Baylor University

Gay and lesbian students are facing tough resistance from the Baylor University community as they try to promote a new student organization, Baylor Freedom.

The group is dedicated to embracing homosexuality on the Baptist campus, but cannot gain recognition from the university as an official student group. Messages about meetings and general information students posted around the campus were erased or torn down within hours of being posted.

Homosexuality is considered a violation of the Baylor University handbook, which states, “Baylor will be guided by the understanding that human sexuality is a gift from the creator God . misuses of God’s gift will be understood to include, but not be limited to, sexual abuse, sexual harassment, sexual assault, incest, adultery, fornication and homosexual acts.”

Students who engage in homosexual behavior are subject to expulsion.