Around Campus

Fraternity to host blood drive

The Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and the Red Cross will host a blood drive in Thurston Hall Monday from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. The fraternity has hosted at least one drive per semester for the past few years.

Sigma Phi Epsilon Vice President for Programming Matthew Mandell said he encourages people to sign up for and come out to the drive because the Red Cross has a blood shortage and needs every unit of blood it can get.

Last year the fraternity collected 37 units of blood and had to turn away potential donors because there was not enough space to hold and transport more blood.
“Our goal is just to get as much done as possible and make a difference,” Mandell said.

Emceeing, break dancing to rock Hippodrome

Liquid Arts will host its second large event of the year Wednesday at 8 p.m. in the Hippodrome. Artists will participate in break dancing and emceeing competitions for cash prizes.

“Break dancing is a huge art form that many people don’t have the opportunity to watch,” said Norman Pentelovitch, director of public relations for Liquid Arts. “It’s also a good place to pick up new styles.”

Liquid Arts is an organization that “encompasses all of the urban arts into one,” including disc jockeying, break dancing, emceeing and graffiti, Pentelovitch said.

College Dems host West Wing, elections

The College Democrats will host a West Wing viewing party Wednesday from 9 p.m.-11:30 p.m. in Marvin Center 405, followed by their annual freshman representative elections.

All students are invited to watch the television show and all freshmen are invited to run for the position.

Students can submit a candidate statement on the CD’s Web site, www.gwcollegedemocrats.com, or email [email protected].

SJT addresses peace issues at Tunisian Colloquium

GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg shared his thoughts on three major religions and suggested solutions for peace in a speech at the Colloquium of the Tunisian Parliamentarians Association in Tunisia Thursday.

World and African leaders attended the gathering.

Trachtenberg spoke about the roots of Christianity, Judaism and Islam. He said it is important to focus on education when trying to solve religious problems because most people do not understand other religions. Trachtenberg said he will offer a scholarship to a Tunisian graduate student to study at GW for the year. He said he wants to encourage more Muslim students to study in the United States and more American students to study in Muslim countries.
-Julie Gordon

Business students remember a classmate and friend

Sixty-eight Business graduate students ran in the Race for Recovery Sept. 21 in memory of murdered student Daniel Krug.

The Master’s in Business Administration student contingent made up the largest group of the 5K race, which raised funds for the Vanguard Foundation, an Arlington, Va.-based substance abuse treatment center.

Krug, a second year MBA student, was murdered May 31 in his K St. apartment. The Easton, Pa. native was planning to run in the Race for the Cure June 1.

Runners said they wanted to honor Krug’s passion for running and community service.

“Dan was very active in doing community service functions.we wanted to do something for him,” said MBA student Sarah Gelt.

Gelt said the group is currently working toward buying and installing a bike rack with a plaque on campus.
-Mosheh Oinounou