GW preps for demonstrations

University officials said they are “pretty comfortable” that students will be safe during this weekend’s World Bank and International Monetary Fund protests. GW added 44 security officers in residence halls, academic and administrative facilities, but students should exercise caution and keep themselves out of potentially dangerous situations to ensure safety, officials said.

GW hired security personnel from Vance Security International, a protection team that specializes in labor unrest and major event security. The University used the company for last spring’s protests, said Vice President for Public Safety John Petrie.

Extra security officers will patrol all residence halls starting Thursday morning, and only GW students and previously approved family members will be allowed in the buildings, Petrie said.

Vice President for Student and Academic and Support Services Robert Chernak said 117 visitors have been approved for the weekend.

Petrie said he estimates Vance officials will cost the University more than $100,000, but he “(hasn’t) received the bill yet.”

Petrie said it cost the University about twice that much to hire security last year, but this year GW requested fewer officers for shorter time periods.

“It’s kind of like being a sophomore. Sophomore year you organize (yourself more), even though you have a few all-nighters,” Petrie said.
Officials expect 10,000 to 15,000 demonstrators this weekend, down from the 30,000 to 40,000 expected last year. Fewer than 10,000 demonstrators showed up during any one day of IMF/World Bank protests last spring.

Chernak said he does not expect a large protest by “Washington standards.”

“The focus is a little more narrow this year, (it’s) not as broad of an appeal,” Chernak said. “Some people who would normally come out fear for their own safety after September 11.”

Metropolitan Police will close a perimeter around the World Bank, including 20th, 18th, I and G streets. Petrie said MPD may change perimeters.

MPD Chief Charles Ramsey said police did not recommend the University shut down this year. GW acceded to a city request to close during last fall’s protests and canceled classes.

Ramsey said he suggests students should prepare to encounter traffic jams and “treat (the slowdowns) like an inch of snow.”

Friday will be the toughest day of the protests for employees and students because of traffic congestion, Petrie said.

“When you’ve got that type of gridlock it makes it difficult for ambulances to move, police to move, so that’s where a lot of the concern is about Friday,” Petrie said. “(Friday) will be the mot challenging day because we have so many students living on campus.”

All campus facilities will remain open for student use Friday, except the Office of Study Abroad, which is located within the perimeters of the protest route, Petrie said.

He said the rest of the University will be open for “business as usual,” and there is no “liberal leave policy,” meaning all employees are expected to be on campus.

“As long as students exercise normal prudence and make sure they’re abiding by laws, I don’t see any reason they should be in personal jeopardy,” Chernak said.

Petrie said he worked to inform protesters and MPD officials that GW students live near the IMF building in residence halls like Thurston and Mitchell halls.

-T. Neil Sroka contributed to this report.