Around campus

Farmers’ Market to offer students alternative to Provisions

Students can buy fresh fruits, vegetables and hand-crafted items at GW’s first Farmer’s Market Oct. 23. The event is scheduled for Kogan Plaza from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., with 25 to 30 vendors from the D.C. area.

Aramark and outside food providers will sell baked goods, fruit and vegetables at the market. Students can purchase all Aramark products on meal points and non-Aramark products with cash. Event planners said they are still working out details concerning non-Aramark vendors and liability for selling products on campus.

Although vendors have not signed any contracts yet, organizers said they are trying to bring in a Georgetown tobacco shop to sell cigars and Tower Records to sell discounted items, said Josh Singer, chairman for the GW Farmers’ Market Association. Vendors from Eastern Market in Southeast will sell goods.

Student organizations may also sell items at the market, Singer said. The market, which Singer said he hopes will take place once a month on Wednesdays, will cost about $4,000 for the first market. Expenses include housekeeping, grounds, hiring two University Police officers to patrol the area, reserved meter parking for vendors and advertising.
Singer said he expects to lose about $400 after charging vendors for using GW’s space.

The group is currently receiving co-sponsorship from organizations including the Student Association and the Residence Hall Association, as well as support from GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg. The University will help fund the event, Singer said.

Singer said he hopes the event will be fun for students, faculty and the Foggy Bottom community.

Over the years there has been some lack of dialogue between students and Foggy Bottom residents, but “(the market) could be the beginning of dialogue,” he said

Singer noted the organization will soon be self-sufficient and would like to start a fund to be used to give back to the community.

The idea for a market came about after Singer saw a similar market in downtown New York City this summer. He said he held preliminary meetings in his room and asked vendors for advice about how to start a market.

Volunteers are needed for the market to help monitor customer flow, set up and close stations. Some individual vendors also said they are willing to pay students for help.

The Farmers’ Market Association is not a registered student organization yet, but Singer said he hopes it will be in the future.
-Mackenzie Jessen

Hippodrome hosts protesters, comedian

An International Monetary Fund Protest Party sponsored by the Program Board will take place in the Hippodrome Friday night.

GW students will be invited to make their own picket signs and listen to a student panel explaining why demonstrators are protesting. Free food, raffles, prizes, music and free bowling and pool will round out the evening.

The event will take place from 7 to 10 p.m.

Contact [email protected] for more information.

The Hippo Comedy Club will present comedian Allan Goodwin Saturday from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Hippodrome. The show is free and open to GW and non-GW students.

The D.C. native, known as “Big Al,” is a regular at the D.C. Improv, and has opened for comedians like Dave Chappelle and Pablo Francisco.

Students can e-mail questions about the show to [email protected] or call the Hippodrome at 994-FUNN.

Teaching students to tutor in Ethiopia

The Graduate School of Education and Human Development received a $5 million, five-year cooperative agreement to an international university consortium from the U.S. Agency for International Development of Ethiopia.

The program will advance teacher preparation at the Ethiopian Teacher Training Institutes and Teacher Training Colleges, which prepare teachers for first to fourth grades and fifth to eighth grades, respectively.
GSEHD students will travel Ethiopia and will serve as English and teacher education tutors.

GW will serve as one of the two “command centers,” with the second at Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia’s top university. GW and AAU are responsible for planning, administration and management of the project. Other universities involved in the consortium are the University of Hawaii at Manoa, the University at Buffalo, Michigan State University and the University of California at Los Angeles.

Hugh Grant movie to be screened at MVC

Mount Vernon’s “Screen on the Green” series will show “About a Boy,” starring Hugh Grant, Friday.

The event will take place on the MVC Quad from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. The film will screen in the Eckles Library auditorium if it rains.

The film stars Grant as Will, a rich bachelor living in London, who in the search for a woman, invents an imaginary son and starts attending single parent meetings, according to the International Movie Database. Will soon meets a 12-year-old boy at the meetings, and the two develop a friendship that teaches Will the meaning of being an adult.

-Julie Gordon