Mellow crowd marks Superfest

More than 2,500 students passed through the Quad for free food, giveaways and rock band “Jimmy Eat World” Sunday for Program Board’s “Superfest.”

Because of security lapses at last year’s Spring Fling on H St., the PB returned the semi-annual festivals to the quad, said PB Executive Chair Bryan Gless.

“It’s a lot easier to put everything on the Quad instead of H Street,” Gless said. “It keeps people who aren’t supposed to be at the event from sneaking in and lets GW students enjoy a free show without security concerns.”

This year’s Fall Fest was titled “Superfest” to capture the idea of a
“really big event,” Gless said. The PB gave out more than 1,000 free T-shirts to students, bearing the PB logo in the shape of the Superman symbol.

Crowds were sparse until about 4 p.m., when headlining band Jimmy Eat World took the stage. Many students said they came to listen to the music, which also included opening acts Sparta and Cave In.

“Jimmy Eat World rocked my world,” freshman Scott Farbish said.

The band played several of their hits, including “Sweetness” and “The Middle.”

Jimmy Eat World is the first non-rap act to headline a PB event in two years. Gless said students told the Program Board they were tired of rap acts like Cypress Hill and Busta Rhymes, and he responded by booking groups of a “different genre.”

“It was great to feature the rock act after four or so rap acts,” Gless. said. “A lot of people appreciate the different style of music, and Jimmy Eat World is really up and coming so it’s great that we were able to have them here this year.”

He said the PB will still consider bringing rap acts to campus in the future.

“We’re trying to meet students’ needs,” Gless said. “Our goal this year is to bring as many genres as possible.”

Many students said they felt the crowd was not as spirited as they expected.

“Jimmy Eat World rocked, but the crowd was lame,” sophomore Sam Goldblatt said.

Freshman Brad Glanzrock agreed.

“It was awesome, but there needed to be more energy in the crowd,” he said.

In addition to the live bands, students could ride a G-Force Cyclone Machine and an inflatable NASA pilot trainer, a suspended spinning chair. XM satellite radio gave away a Sony Satellite Radio Receiver, while the PB offered free film posters. Loews Georgetown, set to open later this fall near the Georgetown Riverwalk, gave away prizes, as did Student Advantage and other sponsors.

One of the most popular stations was sumo wrestling, where students donned heavy sumo suits and tackled each other to the ground.

“I think Fall Fest went great. It was extremely successful,” sophomore Jamie Panzarella said. “There were lots of smiling people here all day.”

Gless said the Program Board’s upcoming events include the Fall Film Series and a ska music act as part of an upcoming concert series.