FSP: Men’s soccer looks to Goldman, Osborne to lead 10 freshmen

The GW men’s soccer team has ten freshmen, a significant change from the 2001 squad led by nine seniors. After last year’s team finished 9-7 (6-5, Atlantic 10) and failed to qualify for the A-10 Tournament, the 2002 squad hopes its few returning veterans and influx of freshman talent will be enough to avoid a rebuilding year that typically follows such a loss of talent and experience.

“Obviously, the loss of some influential seniors is always going to be tough,” senior captain Matt Osborne said. “But the good thing about our team is that we don’t really have any one player that the rest of the team revolves around. We need contributions from everybody.”

With four goals and four assists in the first six games of the season, Osborne has answered the call for new leadership this fall. The forward was tied for a team-leading 10 goals in 2001 and has a chance to establish himself as one of the top offensive players in school history this season. His 26 career goals going into this season put him sixth on the all-time school list, and his 61 career points ranked eighth.

Junior forward Arnar Johannsson, a sophomore transfer from Iceland, compliments Osborne’s offensive prowess. Johannsson, last year’s A-10 Rookie of the Year, has wasted no time in establishing himself as one of GW’s primary scoring threats after scoring five goals in the team’s first two games this year.

Also returning is fifth-year senior Michael Goldman, a key playmaker and vocal leader. Goldman’s 15 career assists entering this season were tied for eighth on the all-time school list and the midfielder has four already through six games.

With only five seniors and nearly half the team comprised of freshmen, contributions from the team’s ten newcomers will be crucial for the Colonials.

The freshmen are led by goalkeeper Derek Biss, who has already established himself as the team’s primary goalkeeper over junior Eric Lund. In his first start against Duke, Biss faced 40 shots and was credited with 15 saves in a 2-1 overtime loss.

Biss said he attributes his early success to the helpful guidance he has received from upperclassmen.

“They have been instrumental in the past month making sure that I keep taking strides forward instead of backwards,” he said.

“The incoming freshmen have brought their own individual attributes to the team,” Osborne said. “And all of them have the potential to not only start, but to create an impact.”

Freshman Frank Ambrosio has had an early impact with a goal and two assists through six games. Midfielder Steve Brown and fullback Ben Mortimer have also earned starting jobs in their first collegiate season, notching one assist apiece.

Osborne said if the team hopes to improve upon last year’s performance, their play on the road will also be critical.

“If we are going to contend for the A-10 Title, then our away form must definitely improve,” he said, adding that the team’s 2-5 road record in 2001 “contributed to us not reaching the postseason.”

Osborne also stressed that his team must come out firing.

“We have a habit of starting games on the back foot,” he said. “We, as a team, must seize the initiative in games immediately, instead of waiting until we are a goal down to start playing to our real potential.”