FSP: Men’s crew prepares to defend A-10 title

The varsity men’s crew team is looking to build off last year’s championship season, which saw the Colonials claim first place at the Atlantic 10 tournament for the second consecutive year. But with few returning upperclassmen and a rookie head coach, that plan is easier said than done.

Former men’s novice coach Matt Boyle was promoted to head coach last month, replacing Gene Kininmonth, who was dismissed because of conflict of interest between the men’s and women’s programs, senior stroke Vic Marwin said.

Boyle is not the only new blood on the team. Only 12 of the 26 returning team members are upperclassmen. Last year’s team graduated four seniors. As few as two varsity-eight rowers may return, Marwin said. But Boyle is optimistic.

“The underclassmen we have are very strong,” he said “They will make up the foundation of our team. They understand what it takes to get it to the top.”

Boyle was an integral part of the men’s novice team’s success last spring, leading the Colonials to the grand finals of both the San Diego Crew Classic, Dad Vails and winning the A-10 title.

“(Boyle) brings a lot of GW spirit to the team, and a lot of young energy,” Marwin said. “He is a more accomplished coach than we had before.

Still, Crew Director Steve Peterson said the transition will take time.

“In the fall I don’t expect (them) to dominate anyone really, but come spring I think you’ll be seeing a lot of exciting races,” he said.

The women’s varsity crew will not be overhauling like the men, but they will try to put a disappointing last season behind them. After a lackluster third-place performance at the A-10 championships last year, Peterson, who also coaches the women’s team, and his rowers are hungry to reclaim conference dominance.

“We have basically finished first or second in all of the A-10 championships,” Peterson said. “I want to be back in the top two, hopefully knocking off U Mass.”

Captain Molly Hueller said that the competition will be tough, but her team is ready.

“Women’s rowing is becoming better and better as its funding gets better, so it gets tougher every year,” she said. “But we’re better this year too.”

Peterson will look to Hueller, a two-time MVP and third-year Division I All-Region First Team, for leadership.

Along with Hueller, Peterson has 16 upperclassmen returning, ensuring a level of continuity. Out of his top varsity eight, only one graduated and six are likely to return, Hueller said.