FSP: Defense is key to water polo’s success

When asked about GW’s rivalries, most students reply with the usual suspects- Georgetown and Maryland. Not so, says Gur Doitel of the GW men’s water polo team.

“We have a huge rivalry with Bucknell and Johns Hopkins,” Doitel, a red-shirt junior from Palo Alto, Calif. said. “It can get pretty heated.”

Every year, it seems, GW battles it out with those two schools for the coveted third and fourth spots at the Southern Championships, which allow the team to advance to the Eastern Championships, the qualifier for the NCAA tournament. In each of the last two years, GW finished fifth at the Southern Championships, barely missing a shot at Easterns.

But this year, the team expects to get there. The team’s work ethic, chemistry and closeness out of the pool will make the difference, Doitel said.

“We can take either one of those guys out,” he said.

“We do a lot together as friends, not because we have to, but because we want to,” junior Pat Dodge said. “It really helps with everything we do in the pool.”

Reed said the seven new recruits will be asked to mesh and contribute immediately.

“This team has a lot of guys who are willing to work hard,” junior Jason Grimes said. “We will progress dramatically because everyone is focused and willing to help out.”

The offense will also benefit from the addition of transfer Nick Koenemann. The sophomore helped Massachusetts to a first-place finish at the Eastern and ECAC championships and a fourth-place finish at the NCAA tournament.

Dodge will be expected to lead the newcomers.

“I expect him to be a floor leader out there, especially at the offensive ends,” Reed said. Dodge led the team in five offensive categories last year, including scoring, with 45 goals.

Defense will play a strong role as well.

“Basically, it comes down to a great defense will create a great offense, not the other way around,” Reed said.

Reed said the defense this year would take time to develop because his players need to learn the system.

“They’re learning it, they’re getting it and they’re getting better with each practice we have,” he said.