Column: Grading on keg curve

It baffles me that the University of California at Santa Barbara is ranked the 47th best college in the country by the U.S. News and World Report, while GW did not break into the top 50 this year.

There is no reason that UCSB, a school notorious for non-stop block parties that degenerate into sloppy sidewalk keg-fests four nights a week, should beat out GW for a coveted spot in the top 50.

I agree with GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg, there must be something wrong with the system in which the schools are ranked. UCSB might beat out GW on a keg-per-student ratio, but not in quality of education.

GW’s dramatic improvements in the past few years should be enough to move past schools like Santa Barbara in the rankings and should definitely be recognized as a first tier institution.

What does GW need to do to improve its rank?

Since 1998 when GW was ranked 50th, GW’s ranking has only dropped and remains below 50, which does not make any sense since GW has only improved since 1998. In the years since ’98 alone, the University has added a new state-of-the-art hospital, constructed multi-million dollar buildings for the School of Media and Public Affairs and the Elliott School of International Affairs, dropped the acceptance rate by more than 10 percent, raised the average SAT and held a impressive freshman retention rate above 90 percent (other urban universities like Tulane and American have retention rates in the 80s), among many other improvements.

Current students, administrators and parents all know GW is much better than it was in 1996, when it was ranked 46th. And as much as I hate to admit it, those few spots in the rankings, as trivial as it may seem, make a big difference.

I am confident, however, that GW is doing all it can to move up the list; despite official statements that they are “not concerned.” I even think the golden pillar placed in the Great Hall was installed simply to make GW feel like those top-notch, rich schools that spend tons of money on things they do not really need, like Columbia University’s suspension bridge-like staircase in its student center.

But this is the game that every university has to play. They are never “concerned” with the rankings until they can say they are at the top, and then they pass out pins and T-shirts to remind you how great the school is.

So students, have no fear, GW will be in the top 50 soon. It might take a few more late night keg runs at UCSB, and a few more golden pillar-like additions here at GW, but it will happen. Relax in the knowledge that GW is improving, if you really want to help, send somebody you know at UCSB some free beer during finals week.

-The writer, a sophomore majoring in international affairs, is the Hatchet opinions editor