Volleyball finishes third at Boise State

The GW volleyball team lost two of its three matches at the Boise State Invitational this weekend, finishing third overall in the four-team tournament. The Colonials (6-4) beat host Boise State University Friday and fell to Eastern Washington University and No. 8 University of Utah Saturday.

Eastern Washington (11-0) went undefeated to win the tournament while Boise State (1-7) finished last, losing all three of its matches.

Eastern Washington’s Janelle Ruen, who had 10 kills and 14 digs against the Colonials Saturday, was named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player.

GW lost to the Utes of Utah (8-2) in a battle for second place in the final match of the tournament Saturday. The Utes overpowered the Colonials, with no Colonial player registering double figures in digs for the first time this season.

The Colonials committed 28 attack errors, 12 as a result of Utah blocks. GW was out-hit .289 to .058 for the match, tallying a season-low 26 digs. They lost the match in three straight games, 30-27, 30-21, 30-21.

Ruth Lazzari led the Colonials with 11 kills and seven digs while Sarah Hokom, playing in her home state of Idaho, added eight kills and six digs.

Utah had 47 kills in the match compared to GW’s 34. Kim Turner of Utah had a match-high 14 kills and Jackie Morrill led all players with nine digs.

Earlier in the day the Colonials lost to the Eagles of Eastern Washington in three straight matches. The Eagles out-hit the Colonials .358 to .086, registering 19 more kills. Ruen had a match-high 14 digs and 10 kills while teammate Lindsey Page led the Eagles with 11 kills.

Lazzari paced the Colonials with a match-high 13 kills and a team-high 12 digs while Hokom added nine kills.

The Colonials won their first match of the tournament Friday, beating the Boise State Broncos in three straight games. It was the sixth victory of the season for the Colonials, equaling last year’s season total. Lindsey Vernand had a team-high 14 digs while Lazzari and Hokom added a combined 19 kills.

Megan Tranter led the Broncos with 11 kills and 10 digs.

The Colonials’ last tournament before Atlantic 10 play is the Pittsburgh Classic Sept. 21-22 at the University of Pittsburgh. GW opens the tournament Friday against the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, a team they beat once already this season Aug. 31 in the Maryland Invitational. The Colonials take on Charleston Southern University and host University of Pittsburgh on Saturday.

The Colonials open up conference play the following week in Cincinnati, Ohio against Xavier.