Letter: WRGW’s actual involvement

We appreciate the Hatchet’s recognition of our decision to stay on the air in Monday’s article “Fees threaten WRGW (Sept. 9, p. 1).” Our decision is not without careful research and attention to the constant monitoring of the situation. WRGW has been working wholeheartedly with administration to determine the best way to handle the circumstances. The article points this out well and addresses the impact the act could have on the GW community.

In regards to the editorial in Monday’s edition of the Hatchet, I feel that WRGW’s situation has been wrongly characterized. To say that WRGW has no interest in the debate or has not contributed to lobbying efforts to persuade members of Congress is unfair. Besides supporting several unsuccessful high-profile campaigns that have been launched in opposition to the Digital Millennium Act, WRGW has participated in numerous internet-wide campaigns over the past six months and also supports Web sites devoted to the issue such as www.saveinternetradio.org. This also includes a letter-writing/e-mail campaign aimed at Congress.

As for the claim that WRGW should send a letter to the Hatchet “to make students aware of the situation,” WRGW has addressed the situation where it matters most, on the radio. WRGW is working hard with administration and the students to fight this act. WRGW’s talented staff continues to work tirelessly to ensure that GW students have access to the highest quality radio programming possible. Regardless of the outcome, WRGW will find a way to reach the student population.

-Brett Kaplan
WRGW general manager