Men’s basketball loses recruit

The GW men’s basketball team lost yet another player this week when the NCAA Initial-Eligibility Clearinghouse informed the team that freshman guard Carl Elliot will not be academically eligible to play this year.

Elliot, who will no longer attend GW, is a 6-foot-3-inch point guard from Trinity-Pawling High School (Brooklyn, N.Y.) that signed a national letter-of-intent with the Colonials last spring. He was the last of five recruits to sign with GW last year.

Elliot’s ineligibility is the most recent of a string of developments that has left the Colonials with only four scholarship players with prior NCAA playing experience starting the season. Forward Tamal Forchion will be out for an undetermined period of time with a broken ankle and Marquin Chandler, Darrio Scott and Matija Debevec have all transferred.

The team’s only addition, not including its freshman class, is LaFonte Johnson, a 5-foot-10 junior guard who, The Washington Post reports, has transferred to GW from UNLV. The Baltimore native has two years of eligibility left but will have to sit out until next season, according to NCAA transfer rules.

Johnson averaged 1.5 points per game last season for the Runnin’ Rebels, playing only 8.3 minutes per game in 29 appearances.
-Brian Costa