Around Campus

Former GW student killed in apparent murder-suicide

A former GW student and his brother were found dead in their Bethlehem, Pa. apartment Friday, according to the Associated Press.

The brothers were victims of an apparent murder-suicide.

Andrew Parker, a junior who transferred from GW to Lehigh University this year, is accused of murdering his brother Daniel and then killing himself.

Maintenance worker Carlos Martinez and his wife, building manager Evelyn Quiros, discovered the bodies after they entered the apartment because the brothers’ friends told the couple they were worried about the Parkers.

The bodies had been there for several days before authorities discovered them. Andrew Parker apparently used a Kalashnikov assault rifle to shoot his brother and then kill himself, the AP reported.

A next-door neighbor said she thought the shooting occurred last weekend, because she hadn’t heard the loud music the brothers usually played.

Andrew Parker had apparently been suffering from depression.

Lehigh administrators sent out an e-mail to all students over the weekend, notifying them of the deaths.

“It was with great sorrow this morning that we learned that a member of our Lehigh family had lost his life in a tragic incident,” according to the e-mail.

Company goes bankrupt, students await books

Two shipments with a total of 400 books are set to arrive at the GW Bookstore about a week late, after the trucking company contracted to deliver the books filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy Sept. 2.

The books, which were ordered in late August, are scheduled to reach Foggy Bottom in a day or two, said bookstore textbook manager Steve Duesterhaus.

He said titles for several classes are in the order from trucking company Consolidated Freightways Corp. Items include texts for professor Michael Sodaro’s comparative politics class and about 200 copies of books for a business economics class that begins in October.

Consolidated Freightways Corp., a 73 year-old trucking company, filed for bankruptcy after it lost $104.3 million last year and $7.6 million in 2000, according to the Associated Press.

Duesterhaus said the bookstore is lucky the bankruptcy did not happen earlier because the bookstore already received the bulk of this year’s books.

He noted that a UPS strike in August 1997 was a “bigger issue” because “no one can replace UPS.”

He said the bookstore works with “several” trucking companies, and that Yellow Freight took over the order.

Junior Erica Fischer, who has not been able to get her Psychology Test text because of the late delivery, said the delay has been “annoying.”

“I’m the kind of person who likes to keep up with my reading,” Fischer said. “I have a lot of catching up to do and not a lot of time to do it.”

School supply drive to help charity

School supplies are currently being accepted to benefit Ophelia’s House, a D.C. area safe home for teenage girls.
Students can drop off notebooks, pens, pencils, book bags, highlighters and protractors in boxes in Marvin Center 436, the Marvin Center ground floor outside the GW Bookstore and Ross Hall first floor.

The mission of Ophelia’s House is to provide a place for teen girls to “obtain support to advance their education, become leaders and role models in communities and eliminate the factors that threaten success,” according to the organization’s Web site.

The drive is sponsored by the Office of Community Service and Student Health Services.

Salsa to spice up the Hippodrome

The Ballroom Dance Society will host “Latin Night” at the Hippodrome Friday. Students can learn to dance the salsa, merengue, cha cha and rhumba, all traditional Latin dances, with members of the Society.

Free food, a free hour-long dance lesson and social dancing will last from 8 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.

The Society also offers Sunday classes at the Health and Wellness Center and Wednesday classes at Western Presbyterian Church on 24th Street. Latin, American social, salsa, merengue and swing classes are offered and range from $40 to $45 for a nine-week session.

Questions can be emailed to [email protected].

College Republicans to campaign, host speakers

The College Republicans will hold their first campaign trip of the year tomorrow, with a rally and reception for Congresswoman Connie Morella (R-Md.) to show support for her re-election campaign.

The rally is set for Montgomery College in Rockville, Md. from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. A reception will follow in Bethesda from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Students wishing to take the Metro to the event can RSVP to [email protected] and meet at the Foggy Bottom metro stop at 4:45 p.m.

A panel featuring former Secretary of Education and Drug Czar William Bennet, former CIA Director James Woolsey, Congressional expert on the Middle East Walid Phares and Pulitzer Prize winner and Washington Post columnist Charles Krauthammer is scheduled for Sept. 17 at 7:30 p.m. in Funger Hall.

The event is run by the CRs and the Americans for Victory Over Terrorism.

Freshmen representative elections will also be held Sept. 16 at 8 p.m. in the Marvin Center 3rd Floor Amphitheater. Candidates must submit statements by Sept. 12 at noon.
-Julie Gordon