Around D.C.

September 11 Events Schedule

Pentagon Ceremony
President Bush will speak at the Pentagon ceremony. The large U.S. flag flown on the side of the Pentagon after the attack will be unfurled in the same location during the ceremony. A moment of silence will be observed at 9:37 a.m., the approximate time at which American Airlines Flight 77 hit the Pentagon.

Tribute to America’s
Heroes of Freedom
A tribute will take place at DAR Constitution Hall to honor those who lost their lives in the attacks. Musicians, including Roberta Flack, Randy Travis and the Nelsons will be in attendance, along with 18 medal winners from the 2002 Winter Olympics, Mohammed Ali and other noted guests. The event will take place from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Candlelight Vigil
The Government of the District of Columbia will honor those lost September 11 with a candlelight vigil on Freedom Plaza, 1350 Pennsylvania Ave., NW., 7:15- 8:15 p.m.

Voices from 9-11:
A Vigil of Faith, Hope and Love
Archbishop Desmond Tutu will hold an 8 a.m. interfaith service at the National Cathedral. A bell will toll at the time of each attack. From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., there will be a meditation and a reading of victims’ names. At 8 p.m., an evening vigil will include accounts of compassion and service, with songs by Nashville songwriter Beth Nielsen Chapman, singer Rachel Bagby and producer-composer Gary Malkin.

Memorial Concert
at Mount Vernon
George Washington’s Mount Vernon home commemorates the first anniversary of the terrorist attacks with a community concert performed by the Harmony Heritage Singers at 11:30 a.m. in the Robert H. and Clarice Smith Auditorium. The 45-minute concert is free. No tickets are required. All visitors to Mount Vernon on Sept. 11 will receive one of the thousands of American flags that were sent to Mount Vernon by patriotic Americans.

Arlington County Flag Unfurling
Arlington County’s off flag will be unfurled at 9:37 a.m., the time of the Pentagon attack. The flags of many countries will be on display to represent the diversity of the county’s residents. Local government officials, civic leaders and the emergency workers who responded to the attack will offer remembrances. A concert will be held at the Netherlands Carillon at 7 p.m.

September 11:
A Year Remembered
Politics & Prose bookstore, 5015 Connecticut Ave., NW will host a community memorial, featuring a distinguished group of writers. Participants reading from their own works include Howard Norman (“The Haunting of L.”), former Washington Post columnist Coleman McCarthy, GW professor and poet Jane Shore, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author Rick Atkinson and others. The program begins at 7 p.m.

-Alex Kingsbury