Around Campus

GW professor loses long battle with cancer

GW anthropology professor Carolyn Rose, 53, died Aug. 29 after a long battle with ovarian cancer. Rose was also a well-known conservator of museum artifacts who chaired the anthropology department at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History since 2000.

Rose was awarded GW’s President’s Medal by University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg in May for her contributions to the University and to the field of materials conservation. Materials conservation is the preservation of the context and use of an object, instead of restoring it to its initial state.

Rose established the Museum Studies program at GW and taught the first course in materials conservation in the anthropology department. She had taught at GW since 1979.

A GW alumna (M.A. ’76), Rose created the Special Studies degree that combines anthropology, art history, conservation science and museum studies. She has also published extensively, including two volumes of the Handbook of North American Indians.

A memorial service will be held Saturday at 11 a.m. at Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church. A ceremony will also be held by the Smithsonian at a later date.

Rose is survived by her husband David von Endt of Chevy Chase, Md., her mother Ruth Rusch of Tinton Falls, N.J. and a daughter, Elizabeth Rose of Silver Spring, Md.

SA taking applications for freshman senators

The Student Association will hold four information sessions next week for students interested in applying for one of three freshman Senate seats. The SA added the third freshman senator in a referendum last December.

Though the freshman senators do not have voting rights, they can sponsor and introduce legislation, debate and take part in senate committees. More than 50 students applied for two freshman openings last year, the SA announced.

The information sessions will be held:

-Sunday Sept. 8
Mitchell Hall Theater 4:30 p.m.
Mount Vernon Ames Hall 7 p.m.

-Monday Sept. 9
Hall on Virginia Avenue Capital Room 7 p.m.
Thurston Hall TV Lounge 9 p.m.

-Amanda Mantone

GW to host prestigious speakers for Democracy Day

GW will host dozens of student leaders from around the country at the first Democracy Day Sept. 17. Student body presidents and newspaper editors in chief from top universities were all invited to the one-day conference, event coordinator Bill Trezevant said.

The day is set to include sessions with CNN’s “Crossfire” host Tucker Carlson, former White House correspondent Helen Thomas and “Cook Political Report” editor Charlie Cook as well as leadership training workshops by the League of Women Voters.

Trezevant said GW is looking to cause the student leaders to “re-examine active citizenship” and give them “essential leadership skills and training.”

He said he is currently soliciting additional high-profile speakers for the event. A limited amount of spots are available to GW students. Students can sign up for the day by e-mailing [email protected].

-Mosheh Oinounou

Latino American students plan heritage month

GW’s Organization of Latino American Students, formerly Latinos for Progress, is planning Hispanic Heritage Month Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.

The month kicks off with a barbecue at 1 p.m. Monday, Sept. 16 on the Marvin Center third floor terrace. OLAS will host part one of a lecture series called Women of Excellence Sept. 18 at 8 p.m. in the Marvin Center amphitheater. The second part of the series, Juvenile Justice, is co-sponsored by the La Unidad Latina fraternity in the Marvin Center amphitheater at 8 p.m. Sept. 25.

The month includes the Hispanic Leadership in America Conference at George Mason University Sept. 27 and 28. Members will also participate in the 2002 AIDS Walk.

For more information, contact OLAS at [email protected] or visit its office, Marvin Center room 437.

GW exhibit shows CBS history in pictures

GW’s Luther Brady Art Gallery in the Media and Public Affairs building is now home to “America Through the CBS Eye,” a collection of poignant images taken by CBS photographers chronicling 75 years of broadcast history.

The images, which date from CBS’ first broadcast year, 1927, went on display Tuesday in the second floor MPA gallery. The free exhibit will be on display until Oct. 18, with gallery hours 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday.

About 120 pictures will be on display for free. The images include a 1934 print of George Gershwin composing in his New York apartment, Edward Murrow in London during a 1941 Nazi bombing and Kennedy and Nixon shaking hands prior to the first televised presidential debate in 1960.

The exhibit is being curated by John Filo, director of photo operations at CBS and winner of the 1971 Pulitzer Prize for photographing a teenage girl kneeling over the body of a dead Kent State student.

Fraternity to pull a Boeing 727 for charity

The Kappa Sigma fraternity needs sponsors for the annual Plane Pull at Dulles Airport Sept. 21. The event will raise money for the Special Olympics, and each of the 25 fraternity members participating must raise at least $1,000.
“I think this is one of the best projects this fraternity has done, and I hope the rest of the Greek community would follow and make it a tradition,” said Dave Nadasi, community service chair of the group.
Students interested in supporting the fraternity at the plane pull should contact Norman Pentelovitch, public relations chair of Kappa Sigma, at [email protected].
-Amanda Mantone