Volleyball wins two in opener

The GW volleyball team won two out of its first three games, defeating University of Maryland Baltimore County and Binghamton University at the Maryland Invitational Volleyball Tournament this weekend.

Despite a loss in their season-opener to host Maryland (3-0), the two wins gave the Colonials (2-1) a winning record for the first time since the 2000 season. Last year’s squad did not win two games until seven matches into the season.

GW placed second behind Maryland, which went undefeated to win the three-game, round robin tournament. GW won a lengthy match over Binghamton to clinch second place Saturday evening, led by junior Ruth Lazarri’s match-high 21 kills. Junior co-captains Sarah Hokom and Lauren Dunning were named to the all-tournament team.

GW 3, Binghamton 2
Saturday Aug. 31

After splitting the first four games, GW won the deciding game five on a kill from Sarah Hokom to beat Binghamton 3-2. GW led early in the final game 10-5 until the Bearcats mounted a comeback, closing in on GW 11-8. After a timeout, the Colonials scored four points for the win, capped off by Hokom’s kill. The Bearcats (0-3) forced the final game, taking game four 30-27.

The Colonials jumped out with an early lead in the first two games, but squandered a 7-1 advantage in game one, allowing Binghamton to win 30-28. GW had a 7-2 lead in game two, and this time held on for the 30-18 win.

GW 3, UMBC 1
Saturday, Aug. 31

GW’s balanced offense gave them an edge over the Retrievers, as six different players pounded seven or more kills apiece en route to the 3-1 victory.

GW won the decisive game four of the two-hour, 15-minute match, breaking a 30-30 tie for the win.

It looked like the Colonials would sweep UMBC (1-2) after taking two quick victories, but UMBC tied game three at 25 and escaped with a 30-28 victory. Sophomore Molly Law’s two kills kept GW within reach, but a GW service error gave UMBC the game.

Hokom beat her own personal kill record with 21 in addition to hitting .333 with 16 digs.

Maryland 3, GW 0
Friday, Aug. 30

The Colonials were handled thoroughly by Maryland in their opening match Friday. The Terrapins (3-0) dominated every part of the game, hitting better than .300 for the entire duration of the match. They also doubled GW’s stats with nine service aces and eight blocks, giving them a 30-27, 30-22, 30-24 win.