Around Campus

Survey shows students are wired on campus

According to the 2002 Best Buy College Technology survey, which questioned 1,000 randomly selected 18 to 24-year-old college students, students are both dependent on and stingy with technological possessions.

Nearly three quarters of students surveyed said they consider their computers their most important study tools. About 63 percent of students surveyed live with roommates and 22 percent said they would refuse to share their computers with their roommates. Nearly 40 percent said they are unlikely to share wireless phones.

The survey showed students use computers to chat on the Internet and play games. About a quarter of students surveyed consider computers the most important tool for “having a good time.” The study also indicated playing electronic games is a male-dominated hobby. Nearly 40 percent of men surveyed say Playstation2 and XBox are the most important toys. Only 7 percent of women agreed. Thirty percent of the women asked would rather listen to music on their CD players or MP3 players.

Males and females also disagree about the importance of cell phones. While 63 percent of college women surveyed said they would not leave home without their wireless phones, only 48 percent of men in the study find them vital. Eighteen percent of students said they never forget their laptop computers.

Hillel gives Jewish students a home for the holidays

GW Hillel will provide Conservative and Reform High Holiday services on campus for students staying in D.C. for the Jewish holidays. Reform services will be held in Lisner Auditorium and Conservative services will be in the Dorothy Betts Marvin Theater.

A complete schedule of Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur services is available on Hillel’s Web site, www.gwhillel.org. All services are free for GW students, but they are asked to RSVP on Hillel’s Web site and bring their GWorld cards to services for safety reasons.

Holiday meals are also available through Hillel, including a free “break fast” meal sponsored by the Jewish Student Association immediately following the end of Yom Kippur Sept. 19 at Hillel.

Students are also invited to JSA’s kickoff event, Viva Las Vegas, Wednesday at 9:30 p.m. in the Marvin Center 3rd Floor Ballroom.
The event will feature a buffet, black jack tables, roulette, craps and a raffle.

“I was going to go to Vegas this weekend, but Viva Las Vegas promises to be better than the MGM Grand,” event organizer Dani Greenspan joked.

Poster sale to be held at Marvin Center
To spruce up blank dorm walls, Prolific Art Galleries is hosting its 25th annual back-to-school poster sale Tuesday through Friday. The sale is located on the Marvin Center 3rd floor terrace from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. each day.

President of Prolific Art Galleries Erol Liguori said there will be more than 2,000 posters on sale, and that 95 percent of the works range from $6 to $8.

He said there will be “everything from Monet and Van Gogh to Incubus.”
Prolific Art Galleries started operating in the mid 1970’s as a traveling poster sales company specializing in fine arts reproductions. It expanded its collection soon after and now sells “everything,” Liguori said.

PB to screen summer blockbusters
The GW Program Board Films Committee will host its 36th annual Fall Film Series starting Sept. 12. “Unfaithful,” starring Diane Lane, will be screened in the Marvin Center Ballroom at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. that Thursday.
The series, held primarily in the Marvin Center, features ten comedies, dramas and action movies. The series concludes on Dec. 5 with “XXX.”
The schedule for the series is as follows:
“Insomnia,” Sept. 19
“Bad Company,” Sept. 26
“Star Wars: Episode II,”
Oct. 10
“Windtalkers, Oct. 17”
“Minority Report,” Oct. 24
“Scooby Doo,” Oct. 31
“Austin Powers in Goldmember,” Nov. 3
“The Bourne Identity,” Nov. 7
“Men in Black II,” Nov. 14
“Lilo and Stitch,” Nov. 21
“XXX,” Dec. 5
All films are shown at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. A list of locations can be found on the PB Web site, pb.gwu.edu.
Admission to all flicks is free with GWorld card. One guest per GWorld card is permitted.
-Julie Gordon