WRGW airs Baysox games

Senior Brett Kaplan, a summertime cameraman for the minor league Bowie Baysox, realized last month the Orioles farm team did not have their games broadcast over the radio. Luckily, Kaplan, who also happens to be general manager of WRGW, helped the Maryland team solve the problem.

Kaplan took the idea to broadcast Baysox games on WRGW to GW’s Vice President of Communications Mike Freedman and Assistant Director of Media Relations Bob Ludwig, who supported the idea.

“Bob and Mike were absolutely instrumental in making this happen,” Kaplan said.

The Baysox suggested WRGW partner with a Maryland station in order to reach a broader audience. They contacted WYRE 810 AM, a 250-watt station in Annapolis and the station agreed to give the Baysox, the only team in their division without radio broadcasts, free airtime.

Because WYRE does not broadcast at night, it was agreed that Kaplan and fellow WRGW commentator junior Charlie Battie would broadcast two Sunday afternoon games, Aug. 4 against the Atloona Curve and Aug. 11 against the Akron Aeros. Fans could listen to the games on gwradio.com or on WYRE.

The two students were joined by eight-year Baysox broadcasting veteran Dave Collins. Kaplan, who would like to make a career of broadcasting after he graduates, said the experience was invaluable.

“It was amazing to work with a real professional,” he said. “I couldn’t believe it.”

Kaplan, who broadcasts the men and women’s basketball games on WRGW, said the transition to baseball was an easy one.

“Baseball is definitely a different twist but we’ve watched and played all our life so it was a real easy transition,” he said.

As for a future deal, Ludwig said he, Freedman and Kaplan would meet with the Baysox marketing director and Baysox General Manager Jon Danos at the end of the season to discuss continuing the project. Kaplan hopes GW students will broadcast all Baysox Sunday games.

“I think all the involved parties are interested in pursuing the idea further,” Ludwig said.

Kaplan and Battie volunteered for the two games, and payment for a long-term deal has yet to be discussed, Ludwig said. Kaplan said money was not an issue.

“(Money) is the furthest thing from our concerns right now, it was a great educational opportunity,” he said.