Sports Briefs:

GW hires new coach
Former men’s novice rowing coach Matt Boyle was promoted to varsity men’s head coach Aug. 9 after leading the Colonials to one of their most successful seasons in history last spring. The team advanced to the finals of both the San Diego Crew Classic and the Dad Veils and also won the A-10 Invitational Title.

Earlier this summer GW Athletic Director Jack Kvancz hired former club squash player Simon Harrington to lead the men’s squash team in its first year as a varsity sport.

Harrington, a GW alumnus, said he is “thrilled” to be leading the new program which will move up from club level along with the women’s team this winter. A coach for the women’s team has not yet been named.

Harrington said starting the program will be challenging, but he hopes to set a tone of dedication that will start the program in the right direction.

The squash team will start its inaugural season during winter 2002 and will play home games in the Health and Wellness Center.

Basketball teams announce non-conference play
Both the men’s and women’s basketball teams recently released their
non-conference schedules, which begin in late November and continue until the start of Atlantic 10 conference play in early January.

The men’s schedule is highlighted by the team’s season opener at the University of Connecticut on Nov. 25. Second-year head coach Karl Hobbs will return to his alma mater, where he was also an assistant for eight years, for the first time as a GW’s head coach. The men played UConn at the BB&T Classic tournament at the MCI center last season and lost 86-74.

In this year’s BB&T the men will take on the University of Texas Dec. 7 in the opening round, which also includes Maryland and the University of Notre Dame.

The women’s team will have a chance to avenge last season’s home loss to the University of Tennessee when the Colonials face Pat Summit and the Lady Vols in Knoxville Nov. 26 after opening the regular season at home against Howard Nov. 22.

-Brian Costa