WEB EXCLUSIVE: GW hires alumnus to coach men’s squash

Posted 12:45 p.m. Aug. 1-GW alumnus Simon Harrington became GW’s newest head coach last Friday when GW athletic director Jack Kvancz hired the former club squash player to lead the GW men’s squash team in its first year as a varsity sport.

Harrington said he is “thrilled” to be leading the new program that will move up from the club level along with the women’s team this winter. A coach for the women’s team has not yet been named.

Harrington said the competitive traditions of the few other schools that have varsity squash programs will make his first year a challenging one, but he hopes to set a tone of dedication that will start the program in the right direction.

“If the excitement does take off and student athletes drive to improve, there should be no reason for GW not to compete with all the others,” he said.

The squash team will start its inaugural season during winter 2002 and will play its home games in the Health and Wellness Center, a venue that Harrington thinks will benefit the program.

“With the addition of the Health and Wellness Center, there should definitely be some opportunities to generate excitement for both the men’s and women’s teams.”

The 1996 GW graduate (B.A., journalism) has been the junior varsity tennis and squash coach at the Potomac School of McLean since 1998 and has also been an assistant squash instructor at the Sports Club of L.A.