Around Campus

New options to join J-Street line up

With the addition of three food options at J Street this year, GW’s food service provider Aramark will offer GW students a better variety than before, GW officials said.

Aramark Marketing Program Manager Amelia Powell said students will be able to purchase “authentic” Philadelphia cheesesteaks at a new Grille Works location at J Street.

A Bene Pasta will replace the existing pasta station offering a greater variety of pastas “made with the finest ingredients and ready for busy students to grab and go,” Powell said.

Powell said the Home Zone, which will replace Cranberry Farms, will feature more options than its predecessor and “home-style classics with a culinary twist.”

Although the Home Zone will still offer chicken like Cranberry Farms did, it will have more varieties of meats and side dishes for students to choose from.

Powell also said last year’s successful Visiting Chef Series to Thurston Dining Hall and Hall on Virginia Avenue cafeterias will return this year with “everything from Indian, Thai and Jamaican to classic American barbecue and New England seafood.”

The Student Association Dining Services Commission worked with Dining Services officials to make improvements made last year, including expanded Starbucks hours, more vegetarian options at J Street and Provisions, said Eric Daleo, SA Executive Vice President and last year’s Dining Services Commission Director.

Commission officers said they are happy with the additions and look forward to making even more improvements.

“While there is more work to be done, we’ve made substantial progress on improving food quality and services,” Daleo said.

ESIA residence on schedule, academic building postponed

The new Elliot School of International Affairs building residence hall will open its doors to residents before classes start Sept. 3, but construction on the academic portion of the building will continue through late fall, GW officials said.

The building at 1957 E St. will include eight levels of academic facilities and a residence hall for almost 200 students, as well as a three-level, 200-space underground parking garage.

Harvey Feigenbaum, associate dean of the Elliott School, said there are no “legal impediments” delaying the opening of the academic portion, just the “actual builders finishing up the actual building.”

D.C. Zoning Commission officials gave the University a green light to house students in the building in June after a two year squabble with community officials over use of the land. GW agreed to provide more than a dozen amenities to the community including GW facilities for community stores and funding a homeless feeding program.

Executive Director of Facilities Roger Lyons said “the building is progressing very rapidly.”

Until the new building opens, ESIA offices and classes will be based in its current buildings, Lisner and Stuart Halls.

Both buildings are set to become apart of an expanded Law School, after the Elliott School completes its move to the 1957 E St.

Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at the Law School Roger Trangsrud said the Law School will be relocating some hallways, adding technology and modernizing classrooms in the buildings. He said the Law School looks to complete renovations in its buildings by June 2003.

-Julie Gordon

Finance club set to begin this fall

A new club that will bring undergraduates, graduates and alumni together to focus on investing is set to meet this fall, group members said.

A group of about 10 undergraduate and graduate students met for the first time last week to form the GW Finance Club, said senior Meredith Miller, a club spokesperson.

Miller said an investment club has been attempted in the past, but said she hopes this group will be more successful than past clubs through better organization and networking.

“We are working together to concentrate on specific tasks instead of everything at once,” Miller said.

Miller said the group will focus on educating members about investing in stocks, mutual funds, money market funds and other markets.

She said the group will also contact professionals, like GW alumni, who can assist members.

“We have already contacted financing professionals . and (we are) networking with teachers, professors and people within the finance community,” she said.

Miller said the group will be meeting in early September and hopes to attract about 70 members.

Students interested in joining can contact Miller at [email protected].

-L. Asher Corson

Students warned of terrorist threats

Although the U.S. Department of State issued its second Worldwide Caution concerning terrorism abroad Monday The GW Office for Study Abroad still encourages students to participate in study abroad programs.

The caution outlines safety measures Americans should take, such as avoiding “facilities where Americans are generally known to congregate or visit, such as clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools or outdoor recreation events.”

Director for the Office of Study Abroad Lynn Leonard said students should “focus on being prepared” if they are still interested in traveling. Leonard also said students should read the caution so they know “what the U.S. government thinks they should be doing as they take on (the study abroad) experience.”

“The first thing (students should do) is be as aware with the local environment as possible,” Leonard said. “Some of (preparation) is just training to be street smart.”

She said this allows students to handle “volatile situations politically and socially.”

She said students also must pay attention to program directors, who know the area best.

According to the caution, the United States has no “information on specific targets, timing or method of attack” but the “U.S. government continues to receive credible indications that extremist individuals are planning additional terrorist actions against U.S. interests,” such as “suicide bombings” and “kidnapping.”

Junior International Affairs major Lindsay McAfee, who will study in Paris this fall, said although she is apprehensive about her trip, she will gain valuable first-hand experience about her major.

“The bottom line is that my plane ticket is purchased, I’m going, and that’s that,” McAfee said. “I guess it will be an experience that will teach me a lot more than I bargained for.”
-Julie Gordon

IMF set to erect new building near campus

The International Monetary Fund is set to build its second building in the area as crews complete demolition of the PEPCO building at 1900 Pennsylvania Ave.

The IMF is constructing a new building to accommodate growth and move staff from a number of leased buildings to one central location, IMF spokesman Francisco Baker wrote in an e-mail.

Baker said the rubble from the site should be removed by October, with completion of the new building set for early 2006.

He said the building will hold 1,400 employees and include retail and restaurant space on the first floor of the building.

The IMF purchased the PEPCO site in 1996. Currently, the IMF occupies a building at 700 19th St.
-Mosheh Oinounou