Sawyer to head SJS

Newly-appointed Student Judicial Services Director Rebecca Sawyer said dealing with freshmen has given her the experience she needs to head SJS.

“I’ve got a pretty good understanding of GW students and GW culture,” said Sawyer, who comes to the post after two years as director of Freshman Services. “Especially since first-year students are a big part of the judicial system.”

Sawyer said she plans to make SJS more student user-friendly and break down some issues that may seem complicated in the Code of Student Conduct.

“Students don’t read the code,” Sawyer joked about the text-heavy document on her first day at SJS, June 3.

She said SJS plans to hold sessions at Colonial Inauguration and make flyers explaining common offenses and their penalties, like alcohol possession and disorderly conduct, to “reach out to students before they violate a policy.”

Sawyer said SJS will take a similar approach to explain features of the SJS system like the University Hearing Board, which is comprised of student volunteers trained to question peers who may have violated GW policy and recommend sanctions.

“(University Hearing Boards) are a great leadership opportunity,” Sawyer said, adding she would like to see more students get involved.

University Police refer offenses that are not considered criminal acts to SJS for review.

Sawyer explained that the department “takes an educational approach” to discipline, such as putting students in “Last Call” for low-level alcohol violations.

“Hopefully we are giving the tools to students to make better decisions,” she said.

Sawyer said she will continue some programs, like the Colonial Caucus, begun last year. The “jury” of five to nine residence hall residents hear minor offenses like noise violations, determine if a violation has occurred and recommend consequences. Students are randomly chosen to serve on the jury.

Sawyer also said she will review the department’s mission and philosophy.

“We’re going to tweak some of the language,” she said.

She described some physical changes, such as painting the walls, to make the SJS office more comfortable for students “when they have to be here all day on a Friday for a hearing.”

Originally from Buffalo, N.Y., Sawyer also served as the community director in Thurston Hall and other freshman buildings. Her husband, Jonathan, currently works as the director of judicial services at Howard University.