Grad student murdered near campus

Police are following several leads in the homicide of graduate student Daniel Krug, who was found strangled in his K Street apartment last weekend.

Krug, 30, had just finished his first year of a master’s degree in business administration at GW. Friends notified police after he failed to show up for a charity race and a wedding Saturday, June 1.

Police discovered Krug’s body in his second-floor apartment at 3:15 p.m. the same day in the Shoremeade at 2517 K Street. Officers reported no signs of forced entry and found Krug’s apartment locked when they arrived.

Detective Daniel Whalen, who is investigating the case with the D.C. Police Homicide Unit, said the motive for the crime is unknown, and police “haven’t ruled out anything.”

Whalen said investigators are “working on a lot of leads,” including connecting the crime to a pattern, but have made no solid connections.

“It’s just senseless,” said business school graduate student Drew Lebkuecher, who worked and had class with Krug. “There’s no rhyme or reason to it.”

While he “can’t guarantee anybody’s safety,” Whalen said the homicide “seems to be an isolated incident.”

Krug was a “very concerned, open person” who put other people ahead of himself, said his older brother Oliver Krug.

The Easton, Pa. native graduated from Cornell University with a degree in urban and regional planning in 1994. He worked in Lake Tahoe, Nev. and then Seattle before coming to GW last year to work on his master’s degree.

“He really enjoyed being back at school,” his brother said. “He liked that fact that people were more motivated and the very international class.”

Born to German immigrants, Alfred and Elfriede Krug, Krug was the middle of three children. His brother said he spoke fluent German and enjoyed traveling to Europe to visit family and friends. He is also survived by a younger sister, Claudia.

Services were held Friday at St. Janes Church in Easton, Pa.

–Mosheh Oinounou contributed to this report.