Friends recall Krug’s kindness, openness

Friends and family of Daniel Krug said the 30-year-old graduate student “always put other people ahead of himself.”

Krug, who was found dead in his K Street apartment last weekend, was a second-year master’s of business administration student.

He was also pursuing a degree in international affairs and hoped to work in international disaster relief, friends said.

“The image that first comes to mind is of Dan smiling,” said classmate Devenjn Dsouza.

Krug graduated from Cornell University in 1994 and worked in Nevada and Washington before returning to school. The middle of three children, he was born in Phillipsburg, N.J. and raised in Easton, Pa.

Family members said he enjoyed running, skiing and traveling.

Krug’s brother, Oliver Krug, called his brother his best friend. He described his brother as “very concerned, very accommodating” and recounted times, like on family vacations, when he would “make sure everyone had what they wanted.”

Dsouza said when he arrived at GW from Bombay, India, he was unprepared for winter in D.C. and Krug provided him with several articles of winter clothing.

“He had such a big heart,” Dsouza said. “He’d never think twice. If he had it, it was yours.”

Drew Lebkuecher, who was also in Krug’s class and worked with him on the MBA Association and in the business school office, told the story of Krug’s ever-present colorful socks.

“It became the stuff of lore because he’d have this suit on and these bright orange socks,” Lebkuecher said.

He said Krug was “self-assured” and “wasn’t bothered by appearances.”

Several School of Business and Public Management students created a photo album and gathered items to remember Krug for his parents, and included a pair of striped socks.

The SBPM office also compiled a book of written memories about Krug from fellow students.

MBA program Director Kathleen Rogan released a statement June 5 about Krug’s death.

“Dan was one of the kindest, smartest and most generous people we’ve known,” she wrote. “Dan will be remembered by his classmates for his random acts of kindness. His cheerfulness and wit were always in abundant supply.”

SBPM Dean Susan Phillips also extended sympathies to Krug’s family and friends via a written statement last week.

Krug’s brother said he was also “really open to different ideas, he didn’t have any prejudices (and) gave everyone the benefit of the doubt.”

“I think that was one of the reasons he liked GW, it was such an international place,” his brother said.

Krug liked the outdoors and had run about a dozen marathons, Lebkuecher said.

He also said Krug would only spend money on himself for the things he really cared about.

“He bought specially-made skis, but he wouldn’t buy a TV,” Lebkuecher said.