Pizzeria Paradiso offers italain getaway

3.5 Hatchets
Pizzeria Paradiso
2029 P St., NW (202) 223-1245
Dough: $8.95 for an 8-inch, $12.95 for a 14-inch
Attire: casual

Tucked within a row of brownstones in Dupont Circle, Pizzeria Paradiso sits quietly with a humble decor. The small and chic restaurant has limited seating but is overflowing with customers.

Opting to sit at the counter is comfortable and interesting, allowing you to watch the three chefs prepare the pizzas with great speed and skill. The pizzas on the menu are varied and rather interesting, not your run-of-the-mill sauce and cheese.

The margarita pizza is prepared with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella; this is about as plain as the pizza gets on this menu. The Genovese consists of pesto sauce, roasted potatoes and parmesan.

One of the more interesting pizzas is the Battargo. It has tomato sauce, battargo (tuna roe), parsley, parmesan and an egg over easy in the center of the pie. Thick-crust pizza is this place’s style – all of the pizza is prepared with fresh ingredients but is a little dry because they’re skimpy on the sauce. It’s usually customary in restaurants to serve bread before a meal, but a word to the wise: don’t ask for bread because you’ll be charged extra for it.

Pizza isn’t the only thing served here, although it is the most popular dish ordered from the menu.

Tasty Italian meals are prepared with fresh meats, cheeses, pastas and vegetables. Salads and paninis (sandwiches) are also served.

So, head to Dupont for a casual meal, just be sure it’s not during peak hours because you’ll never get a seat.