MC gets face-lift

Students will find more J Street seating space next fall, after GW completes a $20 million Marvin Center renovation project.

The University will expand J Street by 35 tables and enclose an outdoor patio over the summer to provide year-round eating space.

“The student population has increased, so the demand is there to have more seating,” Associate Director of Marvin Center Operations Michael Brown said.

The outdoor terrace on the H Street-side of the Marvin Center will be enclosed in glass, adding 92 seats to Columbian Square, the J Street seating area. Brown said the area will overlook H Street and have vertical blinds.

“It will be like a sun room,” said Michelle Honey, director of architecture engineering and construction. “There will be lots of light.”

A 960 square-foot outdoor terrace will also be added to the new eating area but will not have seating.

Construction will begin in June and should be ready to use by the start of school in September, Honey said.

“We may have to do some finishing touches to the outside in the fall, which could mean an October completion,” Honey said.

The 1,440 square-foot room will be accessible through J Street. Half of the south wall of the current dining room, which faces H Street, will be knocked out to provide access to the expanded terrace. Granite steps will replace the current slate ones, which Honey says will allow students to sit there and “make the area more gracious.”

A 182 square-foot entry space will also be added to the outside of the
new terrace.

Starbucks and the surrounding area will be unaffected by the construction.

An awning will also be constructed over the current H Street steps into the Marvin Center as part of the same project.

“It should create a sense of entry,” Honey said. “It should be a really nice enhancement.”

The GW Hospital is also set to open in late August before school starts.
“Everything is on schedule right now,” said Marti Harris, hospital director of media relations.

She said the hospital is currently planning a grand opening ceremony for late August. The hospital is still planning how they will transport patients from the old hospital to the new one. Harris said GW has not yet made a decision about what will happen to the old hospital.